2023 Gas 3/4 ton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any news on the 2023 3/4 ton offerings? Any engine options changing? The 6.4Hemi specifically.

I am planning on ordering a 7.3 F250 unless the gas engine gets improvements for 2023.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Nothing that I've seen. Unless they're planning a surprise, there's nothing coming out in any searches.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Stellantis is going electric, EV
it is also going autonomous

this is the new Pacifica
Pacifica minivans from Stellantis’ Chrysler brand are operated by Waymo for fully autonomous rides in Phoenix, Arizona.
Pacifica%20AV%20in%20Chandler%2C%20Arizona%2C%20BB.jpg

i read that it takes 2000 microchips to build an electric vehicle

Last edited:

matemike

Reaction score
What would you want to see? I know plenty of people who are happy with the Hemi. The 6.4 has been in the trucks for a few years now. But a weak present and unknown future in the auto industry is not good for creating new things, so I doubt this is the time to be making changes/updates with the way the world still is. They're trying to keep up with the "now".

But since you do ask, I'd guess nothing with the engine, but maybe the 8 spd gets replaced for a 10spd like the ford and chevy trucks.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Not too thrilled about French & Italians owning and dictating vehicle development for the USA. They took over the business I was in and uniformly wrecked it, halving sales between 2007 and 2016, where competitors fully recovered from the Great Recession.

Poor Chrysler is the foster child of the auto industry, first getting beat up by Daimler Benz, then going bankrupt in the Great Recession, then getting bought by a repeat failure in the US auto market (Fiat). Double down on failure with Peugeot joining the party.

Maybe Ford is finally getting its act together after the w*h*i*z motor and Navistar debacles? Looks like they intend to offer BOTH EV and engine powered trucks? Maybe engines-only for heavy duty? I've seen favorable reviews of the Ford diesel and the 6.2L gas, not sure about the new 7.3L gas.

GM is a whole other debacle. Haven't been back since 2007 with 5.3L oil-pumper AFE failure.

dynocompe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i hated Dodge then Ram all my life lol, it was never a truck i even looked twice at, thought they were ugly., poorly built and would never even consider them. Then the 5th gens came out. And I fell in love and I know many other brand lovers did as well. So they are doing something right, they have switched a lot of people over. I have everyone in my family who are huge Ford lovers (I was too) looking at Rams. So I think they are doing something right. You can go buy that 7.3 but that Ford feels 20 years older than the ram inside. Even with their 12 inch screen, it still looks dated, screen isnt even flush mounted, no innovation at all inside. When I bought my limited I was looking for years, but there wasnt one truck out there that I wanted to spend $100,000 on, i wasnt in love with any of them at all. The Ford was of course what i was most interested in, but I didnt even like it! Then the Ram came out with the 5th gen and it was love and I knew right then , that was my next truck. Made the switch at the end of the year after i was convinced the truck was reliabe too lol

OP
OP
B

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What would you want to see? I know plenty of people who are happy with the Hemi. The 6.4 has been in the trucks for a few years now. But a weak present and unknown future in the auto industry is not good for creating new things, so I doubt this is the time to be making changes/updates with the way the world still is. They're trying to keep up with the "now".

But since you do ask, I'd guess nothing with the engine, but maybe the 8 spd gets replaced for a 10spd like the ford and chevy trucks.
I have already had a 6.4 6 speed. I liked it. But the 7.3 Ford has much better specs.
The 10 speed with 4:30’s vs 8 speed with 4:10’s being a big one.

I put 4:88’s in my 6 speed to get it to pull decent.

I would like to stay with Ram but the power isn’t up with Ford.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can go buy that 7.3 but that Ford feels 20 years older than the ram inside. Even with their 12 inch screen, it still looks dated, screen isnt even flush mounted, no innovation at all inside.

feels like its still 1989 when i see super dooty interiors. even the very newest 2022 takes me back to the 80s

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
i hated Dodge then Ram all my life lol, it was never a truck i even looked twice at, thought they were ugly., poorly built and would never even consider them. Then the 5th gens came out. And I fell in love and I know many other brand lovers did as well. So they are doing something right, they have switched a lot of people over. I have everyone in my family who are huge Ford lovers (I was too) looking at Rams. So I think they are doing something right. You can go buy that 7.3 but that Ford feels 20 years older than the ram inside. Even with their 12 inch screen, it still looks dated, screen isnt even flush mounted, no innovation at all inside. When I bought my limited I was looking for years, but there wasnt one truck out there that I wanted to spend $100,000 on, i wasnt in love with any of them at all. The Ford was of course what i was most interested in, but I didnt even like it! Then the Ram came out with the 5th gen and it was love and I knew right then , that was my next truck. Made the switch at the end of the year after i was convinced the truck was reliabe too lol

I'm not sure if it's a dig on the the brand or just some bandwagon? Your opinion is based on a radio finish/appearance?..
Many users on here are flat out loyalists to the Brand your view seems to suggest that prior to the 5gen, Ram/Dodge truck were trash and would never consider them. Most likely you would jump ship for another brand if your money light came on..
Just my opinion, glad you like your Ram for now.

Remington15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked my 2022 ram 2500 6.4 tradesman over the ford because of lower price and the gauge cluster on the ram is way better looking, idk why ford went backwards on that design, the 2015 guages looked way better

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We’re full time RV’rs and have probably been in 30 campgrounds in the past year.
I’ve never counted but I bet at least 50% of the trucks towing are Rams. That might be 75% at some of the places. Ford tends to run 2nd, then Chevy/GMC. Not too common to see Toyota or Nissan. Love my 2500 Hemi!

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
We’re full time RV’rs and have probably been in 30 campgrounds in the past year.
I’ve never counted but I bet at least 50% of the trucks towing are Rams. That might be 75% at some of the places. Ford tends to run 2nd, then Chevy/GMC. Not too common to see Toyota or Nissan. Love my 2500 Hemi!
Good observation, I always see what others are towing with when I'm at a campground.
In my travels between Maine and North Carolina last year I saw quite a few of the 2019+ Rams out there in the 2500 and 3500 srw, and probably 60% of those are diesel. I probably saw a three 2019+ Rams to one 2020+ GM twins. The dually trucks are fewer, but it's probably a pretty close match between Ram and Ford on those.
There are a lot of 4g Rams but almost all of them are Cummins trucks, probably 90% diesel. The 2019 and prior GM's were fairly common. I didn't see a lot of 2016 and prior Ford Supers.
I think the 8HP75 behind the 6.4 really helps Ram tow competitively, but it's certainly not wearing the crown. If you watch the Ike videos, you know how the competition stacks up, but at the end of the day, which truck does someone want to drive every day? I think Ram offers a comfortable, competitive product - BUT- they will need to do some tinkering with the engine soon to stay competitive.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good observation, I always see what others are towing with when I'm at a campground.
In my travels between Maine and North Carolina last year I saw quite a few of the 2019+ Rams out there in the 2500 and 3500 srw, and probably 60% of those are diesel. I probably saw a three 2019+ Rams to one 2020+ GM twins. The dually trucks are fewer, but it's probably a pretty close match between Ram and Ford on those.
There are a lot of 4g Rams but almost all of them are Cummins trucks, probably 90% diesel. The 2019 and prior GM's were fairly common. I didn't see a lot of 2016 and prior Ford Supers.
I think the 8HP75 behind the 6.4 really helps Ram tow competitively, but it's certainly not wearing the crown. If you watch the Ike videos, you know how the competition stacks up, but at the end of the day, which truck does someone want to drive every day? I think Ram offers a comfortable, competitive product - BUT- they will need to do some tinkering with the engine soon to stay competitive.
Great comments and I agree with your assessment. One thing Ram really needs to do is increase the PL on the 2500 Cummins. One guy here is pulling a large 5th wheel with a new Chevy 2500 Duramax. I looked up his PL and unless I misread it it showed 3400+ lbs. probably a matter of leaf instead of coils? Not sure.
Ram is only 2k lbs or so. I think almost all the Ram diesels here are 3500’s

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm not sure if it's a dig on the the brand or just some bandwagon? Your opinion is based on a radio finish/appearance?..
Many users on here are flat out loyalists to the Brand your view seems to suggest that prior to the 5gen, Ram/Dodge truck were trash and would never consider them. Most likely you would jump ship for another brand if your money light came on..
Just my opinion, glad you like your Ram for now.
I don't see any problem with not being brand loyal. What you're calling jumping ship is to me shopping around for what interests me the most. If Toyota, GM, Nissan, or Ford come out with something I really like the next time I'm truck shopping, I'll probably go with that. I'm not settling for what I consider my second choice just because of who makes it. I owe Ram nothing. In my opinion, it's up to them to strive to earn and keep my business.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Specs? The ol’ paper bragging rights.
It's more than paper he's right the 6.4 doesn't towing that great compared to the competition. TFL is a good source that provides video proof. I've only owned my 6.4 for about 6 months and was shocked at the lack of towing power (coming from a half ton). I'm not saying Dodge needs a new engine just a way to get more out of the 6.4 (if possible). My guess is Ford's 7.3 will cause them to do away with their 6.2 gasser which also underperforms in the towing power category IMO.