2024 Dodge Durango Paddle Shifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I guess I should have started a new thread so I moved this from a continuation of an old question I had a few months ago.

We just bought my wife a 2024 Dodge Durango. Does the 3.6 have MDS? The salesman said he thought so, but I researched and can't find anything that says it does.

On the off-chance that it does, I tried to override it with the (paddle) gear selector like I do with the ERS in my RAM but I can't figure the dang thing out. It won't let me upshift or downshift half the time and then it says, "Shifting Not Allowed". WTH? This is one of the few things I can't figure out about this vehicle.

Even if it doesn't have MDS, why does it have gear shifters if it won't let me use them?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I guess I should have started a new thread so I moved this from a continuation of an old question I had a few months ago.

We just bought my wife a 2024 Dodge Durango. Does the 3.6 have MDS? The salesman said he thought so, but I researched and can't find anything that says it does.

On the off-chance that it does, I tried to override it with the (paddle) gear selector like I do with the ERS in my RAM but I can't figure the dang thing out. It won't let me upshift or downshift half the time and then it says, "Shifting Not Allowed". WTH? This is one of the few things I can't figure out about this vehicle.

Even if it doesn't have MDS, why does it have gear shifters if it won't let me use them?
Do you have the console shifter in the right position? On the Challengers/Chargers the console shifter has to be slid over towards the drivers side to access the paddle shifters,so i'm guessing it's the same in the Durango's.Try pulling the shifter handle over towards your knee. If you look close,you can see an "M" on the shifter handle,you have to pull the shifter over to M which is manual mode,then the paddles should work properly.You can also use the shifter to manually change gears when it's in manual mode,but it works backasswards to any old muscle car console shifter,as you pull it backwards to upshift,and push it forwards to downshift

Attachments

• IMG_4323 (2).JPG
    IMG_4323 (2).JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Does the 3.6 have MDS?

No.

It won't let me upshift or downshift half the time and then it says, "Shifting Not Allowed".

You may need to enable them in the settings menu. If you're not sure how to navigate the menus to find it, several YouTube videos show it.

Alternately, you may be attempting to shift it to an rpm range it doesn't like. The paddle shifters aren't shifters, they are paddle suggesters. The computer gets your suggestion, then decides if it will do it or not. :D

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do you have the console shifter in the right position? On the Challengers/Chargers the console shifter has to be slid over towards the drivers side to access the paddle shifters,so i'm guessing it's the same in the Durango's.Try pulling the shifter handle over towards your knee. If you look close,you can see an "M" on the shifter handle,you have to pull the shifter over to M which is manual mode,then the paddles should work properly.You can also use the shifter to manually change gears when it's in manual mode,but it works backasswards to any old muscle car console shifter,as you pull it backwards to upshift,and push it forwards to downshift

Yeah, I've tried it in both the "D" position and the "M" position. Still working on it.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No.

You may need to enable them in the settings menu. If you're not sure how to navigate the menus to find it, several YouTube videos show it.

Alternately, you may be attempting to shift it to an rpm range it doesn't like. The paddle shifters aren't shifters, they are paddle suggesters. The computer gets your suggestion, then decides if it will do it or not. :D
Yes, I know how to navigate the menu but I don't recall seeing anything about "enabling" the shifters. I'll look again. But that aside, if it does have it, and I enable it, it should do what I tell it and let me hit the freeway in 1st gear if I so choose.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, I've tried it in both the "D" position and the "M" position. Still working on it.
I'm not really familiar with the Durango's shifter,but you might have to go into the settings and enable the paddle shifters as Doc stated above.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have researched this a bit, and apparently the shifters are just there for those who want to pretend they're driving a manual shift vehicle. Most comments I've seen the folks are saying they just skip it as they're not much advantage anyway except to make you manually shift.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes, I know how to navigate the menu but I don't recall seeing anything about "enabling" the shifters. I'll look again. But that aside, if it does have it, and I enable it, it should do what I tell it and let me hit the freeway in 1st gear if I so choose.
You'll probably hit the engine limiter before you get up to terminal velocity in first gear:Big Laugh: :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have researched this a bit, and apparently the shifters are just there for those who want to pretend they're driving a manual shift vehicle. Most comments I've seen the folks are saying they just skip it as they're not much advantage anyway except to make you manually shift.
I'm no fan of the tiptronic paddles in the cars,i'll use the console shifter in manual mode way before i use the paddles in the car.I love the paddles in my truck in comparision to the paddles in the wifes last 2 Challengers

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it have eTorque, I know it came out in 2019 on the Pentastar 3.6 engine, so probibly start/stop.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does it have eTorque, I know it came out in 2019 on the Pentastar 3.6 engine, so probibly start/stop.
Yes, it has the Stop/Start thing but I figured out how to override that. Unfortunately, it has to be done every time you start the vehicle.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

I figure you know how to use the menu, I mean if you don't know how to navigate the various sub-menus to the right spot. IIRC, it was not in an intuitive location.

It won't. Even the manual transmissions have lockouts now. I can't shift into reverse in my 6 speed stick Camaro unless I'm completely stopped, like if I'm rolling at 0.5 mph the gate locks me out. I honestly don't know if it'll let me blow the motor in a forward speed, but I assume it will so I don't try. If I ever get it stuck there's no rocking it out, though...terrible off road vehicle, Camaros are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demon Hunter 441