2024 3500 air suspension problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gundog3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Trying to solve an issue with a 2024 3500 air suspension problem. I recently went from a 2021 3500 to a 2024. With the 21 I towed a 5th wheel for two years. No issues. When weight was placed on the rear suspension it would lower then return to normal ride height as it adjust itself. I could then press ALT trailer height and it would adjust once again. I could hear the compressor and see the truck raise and lower. Even with less weight it would operate. Now…. The 2024. I put 700 lbs in the box (hay) and nothing. No movement no hearing the compressor. At 5k the the Service air suspension warning light and message came up. It now goes off and on. When I press the lower bed button nothing happens. No movement yet the yellow lowering indicator flashes 10-20 times. Says bed lowered but no movement. Hit the button again it immediately indicates bed at normal ride height! The 21 would lower and raise when this process was done. Not the 2024. Zero!! When you press the Alt trailer height the light does not come on and nothing flashes in the console. I know it requires weight for this mode but at least the 21 would show a truck and trailer with no movement. It’s been back to dealership twice for a total of 14 hours and the issues has not been resolved. Ram engineers say the system has changed from 21 to 24 however my 24 just doesn’t work! 5 th wheel out of storage on May 4. I think I’m in for big issues when trying to detach when I cannot use tire jack mode. IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE OR THAT CAN HELP. DEALERSHIP UNABLE TO FIND THE ISSUE! Ram wants to to see the truck and trailer at dealership before they respond. Go figure!

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
First, if you put 5k in the bed of the truck you probably tripped the overload sensor of the system and it's faulted out, it may have damaged something in the system but I don't know the system well enough to tell you what. I just know it has an overload sensor in it to attempt to prevent damage to the system. I'm guessing that's a typo but who knows, some people do load their 3k payload trucks up with way more than that.

Now, that said, it sounds like you have a system that was faulty to begin with, but they don't really test them at the factory AFAIK. Your local leader may not know how to work on the system, and without weight in the bed they can't accurately troubleshoot it anyway. They'll need to see it loaded to see what is going on, which is why they're asking to see the truck and trailer at the dealership.

That said, this is why I refuse to opt for an air suspension on these trucks. There's too many issues that can be masked by them, and when they fail they're a headache. As for your issues trying to detach...I don't see how you're going to have an issue, you should really be doing that with the trailer jacks anyway (or at least everyone I've ever seen, and every fifth wheel I've ever detached from, was done with the trailer jacks...it's one of the things they're built for). Just raise the trailer til you see your slight gap between the tongue and the hitch, unlock, and pull away. Even if you have to leave it hooked to the truck while you run it up, then unplug before pulling away. I've done this countless times and had no issues.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think he meant 5 thousand miles. That’s how I’m reading it anyway. He only had 700 lbs in the bed

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
While I don't personally have a HD Ram, I do have close friends and family that have 3500 dually's, and both of them opted for the factory rear adjustable air suspensions and had nothing but problems since day one, pretty much.

Dealers were useless to say the least, as was factory support from an escalation stand point.

They both had them removed and a top line rear adjustable air suspension bag system installed with its corresponding compressor and all wired up to gauges and switches in the dash.

They have had zero issues since doing this, and their systems operate flawlessly in any weather conditions be it extremely cold or vice versa.

Sad as poop that the factory air suspension in the HD Ram's is garbage, but you'll see this echoed by many who have now and have had them in the past, and then removed and/or disabled them due to being a nightmare.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I think he meant 5 thousand miles. That’s how I’m reading it anyway. He only had 700 lbs in the bed
You may be right - I didn't read it that way but it might be what he means.

I am predicating the rest of this by saying I don't know if the air suspension REPLACES the leaf springs on a 3500, or is just an add-on from the factory. I am going to assume it's in addition to the leaf springs.

If that's the case...700 lbs in the bed of a 3500 (especially if it's a dually) isn't really much weight, and might not even squat the truck enough for the system to recognize that it's moved, which could be his entire problem. And hitting the 'lower bed' button on a basically empty truck isn't going to lower it much anyway - it's basically unloaded, so the truck isn't going to move down once it's fully supported by the springs.

I would suggest he go hook up to his camper to put some REAL weight in the bed, and see what happens then. If it still isn't functioning properly then take it back in.

Either way, I'm still not sold on air suspensions on these trucks, either aftermarket or from the factory. I'm old school I guess - let the springs work as they're intended.

OP
OP
G

Gundog3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
So NO it was not 5000 lbs. it stated after 5 thousand km the warning lights came on. And yes 700 lbs should be enough to trigger system. With the 2021 I would merely put two labs in crates and a few dozen decoys and the truck would react and self level. When the gear came out it would self level. It worked correctly. The only reason I went with air bags system was to level the truck and trailer. That’s it. I know rams. I’ve had 17 rams since 1996!!! I get trucks. It’s just I’ve never had an issue until now. Was seeing if other owners were having issues with 2024 3500 HO duallys air suspension. It appears I have had issues since day 1. !!

OP
OP
G

Gundog3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
In addition to last reply I had 2019 RM 3500 HO swb limited. No air suspension. I get the fact air bags give you NO additional weigh capacity. I did install an after market airbag system and worked flawless. So did the 2021 dually. While towing a 40 foot 5 th wheel it works so much better when both are level. Period. Looks like the 2024 is a mess. Ram states the system has changed. I don’t buy that on!! If it was my first RAM I may have went along with it. But it’s my 17th.

OP
OP
G

Gundog3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Last reply. I did take the truck to my friends construction company and hooked onto a 22 000 equipment trailer. Truck obviously lowered onto the springs however it would not return to normal ride height. It didn’t do a thing.

OP
OP
G

Gundog3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Ok 2003F350….. I guess I have to explain a RAM HD with Factory air suspension. I will make it clear for you. I understand 5th Wheels as well. Have had almost as many as trucks. So here is the clarity. Rams have three settings available on the screen. 1- Tire jack setting. 2- alignment setting and 3. Tow position setting. If and when you disconnect a 5th wheel or a goose neck you have to engage either setting one or two. This interrupts and disables the air system. If you do not do this ….. here is the clarity….. the truck will fight the process of detaching buy continuing to lift upwards in an attempt to level itself creating enough tension that you can almost lift the rear of a dually clear of the ground. At NO point will it allow you release the king pin. It’s not possible to create that little one inch gap you reference.So if my system does not work correctly I cannot put it into the jack mode! Seeing I understand Both Rams and trailers… when I hooked up to my friends 22000 lb equipment trailer… see I was pretty smart about it…. I simply put the entire weight on a 25000 lb ball insert to the bumper hitch just in case it would to disconnect with his 18000 lbs goose neck. Clear? I think you assume to much of other peoples experience and knowledge. Just saying.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
All I'm hearing from this is that it makes unhooking from any trailer more of a pain than it needs to be, and is convincing me further that the air suspension is unnecessary.

Sorry you're having problems, yes it should work when new, but for me, hearing even how this system is supposed to work - hard pass on it.

M376X6

Reaction score
Ram Year
1963, 1965, 1983, 1984, 1985, 2022
Engine
Mopar
I hate to hear this kind of problem with little or no help from the manufacturer. The air suspension system in my 2022 Ram 3500 dually works flawlessly. However, the 12 inch screen nightmare is something the manufacturer is also unable to repair. It frustrates the living hell out of me when you spend the kind of money we spend on these trucks and the manufacturer looks like a deer in the headlights and suddenly develops an IQ of around 60. Best of luck to you. I think it all boils down to some idiot in Italy that now runs the show. IMHO

Dieselwill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s too bad that you have problems with your leveling system, I’m on my 4th Ram 3500 and they all have worked perfectly but I almost always have a heavier load.