2024 Ram Limited 1500 - Failed less than 200 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigAl38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the site and was hoping to get some support. I just traded my 2019 Laramie sport in a week ago for a new 2024 Limited 1500. MSRP of $89,000. Less than 7 days of owning and only 200 miles put on it the truck completely failed. I was driving my daughter, who is only 7 months home from daycare when the truck downshifted and engine light came on. Contact dealer and scheduled appointment for next day, Saturday 4/30. It's an hour an half drive to dealer. Roughly 30 minutes into the drive the battery kept going on and off. I monitored the battery voltage and it kept decreasing. About 3/4 of the way there in the middle of farmland and steep bluffs, the truck completely failed. Everything shut down, including the power steering and brake system. If I was going around a bend and this happened I'd likely be dead today. As there are numerous steep drop-offs where I live.

Has anyone experienced this with a new 2024 with this low of mileage? I don't feel this vehicle is safe to be driven on the road for myself or anyone on the road as it failed brand new. Especially with a 7 month old in the vehicle. Luckily it was just me this weekend and luckily I was almost to a small town with no bends.

Any help is much appreciated.

Al

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Your help is going to come from the service dept at the dealer since this is a new truck. But I am surprised you did not have it towed there. I live in a mountain area and would not have tempted the gods by driving a failing vehicle to have it worked on. I have AAA tow and it's well worth it. And the dealer probably would have picked it up at your home given the issues. Besides that you might have something as simple as a battery failure. These new vehicles are dependent on electrical power to operate. Sadly that is what we have come to. No push start and drive anymore.

Welcome to the forum and be sure to update what happened.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Where are the RAM cares folks......are they reading this? I would demand a new truck.....a $90K truck with 200 miles......get an attorney......you will never be happy with this truck. At the very least......demand RAM gives you an extended warranty covering the entire truck for 100K. Good luck.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Has anyone experienced this with a new 2024 with this low of mileage?
I didn't know those lifters would fail that quickly...Hey, at least the F&I guy had time to stop laughing at you for spending that much on that POS...He'll be better able to deal with you with a straight face when you arrive on the tow truck.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so basically you just have a dead battery ?

OP
OP
B

BigAl38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies.
The battery issue didn't occur until I was already on the way to the dealership. If I would have turned around it would have ended up dying on my way back home. Dealer was shocked. They told me it was a bad actuator. Fixed that and issue seemed to be fixed. However, I'm still a little worried what else could be wrong with this truck if that failed so early.
I filed a complaint with the NCDS and there is an arbitration hearing being scheduled. You're correct, I don't think I'll ever be happy with the truck due to this issue. If RAM doesn't want to replace the truck then I'm going to push for extended warranty on the truck.

I ended up having to get towed to the dealer. Had a good conversation with the tow truck driver. Sadly, dealer didn't act like they were too concerned. Think the sales manager was hiding because I never saw him the day it was towed or the day I picked up the truck again.

I'll keep everyone posted on the final outcome after hearing occurs.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of actuator causes a battery to drain like that? While running the truck should be powered by the alternator.
Could be draining power faster than the alternator can supply it