22’ Laramie battery drain issue… any help appreciated.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finesta101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a Laramie that’s not even a year old and since last week, car randomly stopped turning on due to a battery issue. Whenever I hook up the battery to a quick charge it starts right up. In addition, I have a ton of lights on including check engine, washer fluid low, abs, shifter malfunction, park sensor issue and a few other things.

Soonest dealer appointment is mid-week and that’s only for a recall, hoping they’ll keep my car to repair everything else

I’m assuming the issue is the battery is being drained and at some point it threw a ton of other codes. After the car runs for a few hours, if I shut it off it won’t start back up unless it’s boosted. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I have a Laramie that’s not even a year old and since last week, car randomly stopped turning on due to a battery issue. Whenever I hook up the battery to a quick charge it starts right up. In addition, I have a ton of lights on including check engine, washer fluid low, abs, shifter malfunction, park sensor issue and a few other things.

Soonest dealer appointment is mid-week and that’s only for a recall, hoping they’ll keep my car to repair everything else

I’m assuming the issue is the battery is being drained and at some point it threw a ton of other codes. After the car runs for a few hours, if I shut it off it won’t start back up unless it’s boosted. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
1) you have a truck not a car. Sorry that just bugs me.

2) you have a truck with a bad battery.

You have not owned the truck for a year but the battery was built before your truck was built, shipped to the truck factory (and we all know how far behind shipping is since COVID), then your truck had to be shipped to the dealer you bought it from (more delayed shipping) then sat on the lot until you bought it. Good chance your battery is +\- 2 years old now. They don’t put top of line batteries in at the factory and with all the electronics on board, these trucks can be battery killers.

OP
OP
F

Finesta101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
1) you have a truck not a car. Sorry that just bugs me.

2) you have a truck with a bad battery.

You have not owned the truck for a year but the battery was built before your truck was built, shipped to the truck factory (and we all know how far behind shipping is since COVID), then your truck had to be shipped to the dealer you bought it from (more delayed shipping) then sat on the lot until you bought it. Good chance your battery is +\- 2 years old now. They don’t put top of line batteries in at the factory and with all the electronics on board, these trucks can be battery killers.

Ah, the age-old truck vs. car debate, I see! Reminds me of my wife – she can give a full lecture on the difference between a purse and a handbag. So, to sum up your advice: my truck's battery aged like fine wine, only to turn into vinegar after 10 months? Got it!

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Ah, the age-old truck vs. car debate, I see! Reminds me of my wife – she can give a full lecture on the difference between a purse and a handbag. So, to sum up your advice: my truck's battery aged like fine wine, only to turn into vinegar after 10 months? Got it!
Can almost guarantee you that your battery is more than 10 months old. I bought my 22 Laramie last November. Build date was February. I haven’t looked, but I’d be surprised if my battery wasn’t at least 2 years old, probably older.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When you bring it in for the recall, run it long enough so that when they go to start it to move it in for the recall work, it won’t start. They will have to fix it at that point.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
When you exit the TRUCK, does the screen in the dash shut off after period of time? I used my remote start feature once, and it caused the display in the dash to stay on, and the module that drives it. If I had not caught it , it would drained the battery. Its a known glitch, as far I see. Had to reset everything, by unhooking the battery.