23 2500 6.4 hemi tick? Dealer says they can’t hear it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Will do, it’s going to be a high mileage week, so maybe by next weekend I see where we are at. Currently not towing, it’s at its loudest on deceleration, maybe while the oil pressure is dropping. Towing, it’s just loud all the time.
Tow Haul is a mode you switch too, is what I was reffering to. Next time even if you arent towing, press tow haul button and see if it does it on decel. What that feature does is keep your transmission in higher rpm's by changing shift points.

OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know what tow haul is haha, I have excavators and skid steers we tow all the time.

So, anytime the engine rpm’s rise or fall, it clacks away. In seems louder in tow haul mode, but that’s primarily because the truck is maintaining a higher RPM while accelerating and decelerating.

It is absolutely at its loudest when coasting down a hill and the truck downshifts, which makes the rpm rise.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know what tow haul is haha, I have excavators and skid steers we tow all the time.

So, anytime the engine rpm’s rise or fall, it clacks away. In seems louder in tow haul mode, but that’s primarily because the truck is maintaining a higher RPM while accelerating and decelerating.

It is absolutely at its loudest when coasting down a hill and the truck downshifts, which makes the rpm rise.
That is a super rare thing, not sure what I can come up with on that 1. That sounds more like exhaust mani, but weird it changed after oil change, just dunno.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

There's a cover under the torque convertor,that can be removed to access the torque convertor bolts,might be worth while pulling it,and check the convertor bolts over,and look at the flywheel for any cracks or weird looking things,or to see if the noise gets louder with the cover removed.

OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
sorry to hear it, but at least you now know this is internal. Also, give it time in most cases it takes time for the extreme pressure additives to plate, mine took 500 miles hemi395 took like 1700 miles, but then both trucks went silent. A lot of it has to do with what is clanking, if it is perpendicular force then EP additives are gonna plate. Plus, another feature of redline is it is sometimes known for this, as it can hype clean something when new, again give it time report back.

Does driving in tow haul change any of the characteristics? You said you have this noise even on deceleration?

That is a super rare thing, not sure what I can come up with on that 1. That sounds more like exhaust mani, but weird it changed after oil change, just dunno.

Originally I thought it was the manifold, but it has a metallic sound to it.

I’ll check out the torque converter tomorrow. Thanks for the tip

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Originally I thought it was the manifold, but it has a metallic sound to it.

I’ll check out the torque converter tomorrow. Thanks for the tip
So another thing that is very "possible" is that it was coincidence it didnt tick after an oil change. The one issue with exhaust manifold tick is it can be hit and miss depending on what the seals are on any given day. They can greatly be different just based on a given temperature of a day. The fact is sometimes both ticks can be intermittent for any number of reasons. And the other fly in this ointment is there is about an exact chance at it being either, both ticks are common and as long as I have been here the complaints are very equal, it is literally about a 50/50 chance at it being either. No back pressure can blow a mani gasket out, this is possible, but most of the time there is a bad bolt that causes the gasket to not seal correctly. I'd spend a good 1/2 hour on diagnosing it. Isolate what side the tick is on, and then do everything in your power to see all the bolts condition. You do not want to over tighten them and I don't know the toque spec off hand, but there is enough of a hint that this can be an issue and worth exploring. The good news it is like hitting the hemi tick lotto when you find it is bolts, of course more harmless then lifter tick.

I went back and listened, this can easily be mani bolts.