2500 HD bumper with step vs bed step.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Wanting some real world experience here. I have a 19 2500 4x4 and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a bed step like the amp or getting a HD bumper like the body guard FT that has built In steps. I had a gmc that had the steps in the bumper and they were great, but the ram is way taller. I cant hardly get my foot on the bumper to pull myself up (I'm 5'9"). But what do yall have and how to you like it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the Amp step and love it. (I'm 5'8") The drop down Amp step will come down much further and be easier to get in the bed I think. Having to step all the way up to the bumper may be a bit difficult I think. Also after market bumpers seem to be hit or miss with the park sensors working correctly if you have those. I like the clean lines of the stock bumper as well.

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have the Amp step and love it. (I'm 5'8") The drop down Amp step will come down much further and be easier to get in the bed I think. Having to step all the way up to the bumper may be a bit difficult I think. Also after market bumpers seem to be hit or miss with the park sensors working correctly if you have those. I like the clean lines of the stock bumper as well.

Thank you for your input.

I too am worries that the bumper step wouldnt be low enough. I personally dont like the look of the amp step. Also it looks like the sensors get moved up a little in the bumper witch would be nice as my sensors pick up my hitch even on the stowed (b&w stow and go) position half the time.

I'm really leaning towards the bumper but I feel from a practical stand point the amp would be more useful as it comes down much lower.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get the bed step. I just got one from Bestep and it's great. The problem I see with the bumper step is it would be a little too high up to use compared to the bed step.

OP
OP
14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Get the bed step. I just got one from Bestep and it's great. The problem I see with the bumper step is it would be a little too high up to use compared to the bed step.

I'm leaning towards the bed step. My boss has a gmc 2500 and I went out and measured bumpers and stepped up on his. His is about the tallest I would want to be comfortable and my truck is several inches taller. I was still hoping for guys with the step bumpers to chime in.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I had a bed step that went into the hitch receiver and a problem was knowing where to step when coming down from the bed of the truck. The AMP step that I added sticks out to the side of the tailgate and so much easier to locate.

The recessed steps in the bumper are not something I would trust, especially when it is wet outside. Ford has the best tailgate with a pull down step and a vertical bar with a ball at the end but Ram and Chevy have to be original even if they provide inferior solutions.