3 Wheel Toy Hauler Pin Weight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timelinex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2020 Ram 3500 SRW 8ft box with 4212lb payload capacity and 19,930 tow capacity.

I was looking at only 2 wheel 5er's with GVWR's around 17k because the next step up is right at my tow capacity and I figured the pin weights would be over my payload.

Just out of interest, I ended up looking at the 3 wheel options and noticed that many of them actually have almost the same pin weight as the 2 wheel ones (~3100). Is it because they put more on the axles since they have 3 of them?

Even some of their UVW is only 1500. So alot of the added GVWR is for the CCC.... So I won't necessarily be close to my tow capacity either.

An example is the Grand Design Momentum 398m. UVW: 15k, GVWR: 20k, Pin weight: 2,980 (lower than the 2 wheel one I was looking at!).

I plan on carrying a 2100# SxS in the back. I've read in some places that with toys in the back the pin weights could be surprisingly light.

Is anyone towing one of these 3 wheelers with a SRW 1 ton? with a toy in the back? Does anyone have sample pin weights?

NOTE: I just want to pre-empt the posts about a dually being better. Yes, I know that a semi-truck would be even better. I won't be using this 5er super often, and if I will , then I have no problem getting a dually. My concern is to not overload anything.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Are you referring to 2 wheeler and 3 wheeler as dual axle and triple axle for the 5th wheels?

With that Grand Design Momentum 398M you've listed, the pin weight is going to eat up the payload of your truck rather quickly. Close to 3000lbs. on the pin weight, anything you add to the 5th wheel is going to increase the pin weight...plus propane, battery and your gear/equipment. Even if you have a 2100lbs. SxS. The reason for the 3rd axle is because those 5'vers are heavy to begin with, even though the pin weights maybe close to each other.

The toy haulers are going to have the heavy pin weights, I would look at ones that have a lighter UVW/dry weight just to have some wiggle room with the weights. The Grand Design 350G has a decent size garage and lower weights.