3500 with Aisin- 100,00 miles but not serviced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dtortor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
I am looking at 3500 trucks and found one that I really like, but just found out it is likely that the transmission has never been serviced. Since the interval is 30,000 miles, this has me a little concerned. The oil change history is fantastic and was always done at the dealership, so I doubt this guy was servicing the trans on his own.

How bad is this? Reason to walk away?

Not sure I really even need the Aisin for what I'm doing- which will mainly be loading the truck down with a 3500 lb truck camper in the bed, and then pulling a couple thousand pounds with a side by side on the trailer.

I appreciate any input on any of this! Thanks!

OP
OP
D

dtortor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
Title should read 100,000 miles but I can't edit

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Really hard to say without knowing how the truck was used and treated before? With that said I think you would be surprised at how many people never do any maintenance to their vehicles other then basic oil changes. I would bet it is fine but would make sure the dealership changes it as a condition of purchase.

OP
OP
D

dtortor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
I feel like it is super common for folks not to do the trans maintenance, and I always heard stuff like "well if its got high miles and has never been done, don't start now". But I also now have a 96 ram that has 3rd gear going out of it...

I was just worried since the Aisin has such a small interval, this may be even worse on it. The truck wasn't used commercially or anything, apparently a retired corrections officer who raises and hauls mules. I asked the salesman to check it with a white paper towel and send me a pic so I could see how the color is, but they are closed for today.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really hard to say without knowing how the truck was used and treated before? With that said I think you would be surprised at how many people never do any maintenance to their vehicles other then basic oil changes. I would bet it is fine but would make sure the dealership changes it as a condition of purchase.

Most people do not understand the concept of the intricate aspect of comprehensive vehicle maintenance. When I interview a potential new customer for my automotive repair shop, one important question I pose is "Has the maintenance been done on this vehicle?" (Most of them have far surpassed 100,000 miles) The response 95% of the time is "Oh! Yes! I have the oil changes done every 3000 miles and all that stuff!".

When I ask them to elucidate "all that stuff!".... they always admit that nothing else has been done, or maybe one or two things have been done.... one time, or that they don't know what to do, and when.

It is my job to educate people as to why it is so critical to be on a maintenance program consistently. Most folks aren't aware of what and why these items must be performed. I sit down with them and show them the long term benefits of regular maintenance.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
How old is it? Was it city driven stop and go or highway miles.

For me it wouldn’t be a dealbreaker but a cause for deeper investigation and price negotiation.

You may want to send it to an independent shop for evaluation. Nothing a seller says should be relied upon anyway. With a high mileage used vehicle condition is everything, and maintenance is only one part of that.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The Aisin is a tough tranny. Like the others have said a lot depends on how it was used. It would not stop me from buying the truck but I would want the dealer to certify it and make sure it's included in whatever guarantee/warranty they provide with the sale.

I'm an Aisin fan, you may not need it but you'll know you have the best.

OP
OP
D

dtortor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
I am trying to negotiate with them today, but haven't come together on a number yet. Man, this diesel market is insane right now, just not many trucks out there and all over retail asking prices. The fluid looked pretty good in the pic he sent, and the truck wasn't used for a lot of hauling or a ton of weight so I think it is ok. It also comes with some BS Warranty Forever, or $395 off the price, so I am going to go with that. Just stinks bc it requires you to pay someone to change the oil and fluids. But I figure I can do that until I get to 150,000 miles at least, and hopefully I'll notice any issues by then. Thank you all for your input!

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The fluid looked pretty good in the pic he sent, and the truck wasn't used for a lot of hauling or a ton of weight so I think it is ok.

Truth be told, you don't know how the truck was really used, and I find it impossible to trust a dealership. How did the dealer really get the truck, auction, trade-in? Can you speak with the previous owner? Did he buy it new?

I've never done this but if I were in your position, I would send a transmission fluid sample out for analysis as a condition of the sale. If that isn't feasible, at least find out what the rebuild costs would be, just in case. That rebuild cost could help you negotiate a better purchase price too.

Last edited:

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A Carfax report may yield some clues as to the truck's usage and service history. If it's a later model one owner with highway miles, you'll see the average miles per year broken down in the report. I wouldn't worry too much and just dabbing the fluid from the dipstick on a white towel will tell you a little.

If it's a Ram dealer, you might want to consider adding a power train warranty. That's a lot cheaper than a tranny rebuild/replacement.

Snacktime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I wouldn't worry about the transmission if it shifts good. It's a used vehicle so your stuck doing all the fluids. I wouldn't even trust the dealer to change the fluid pre purchase as it is an up sale.

The service interval is due to heat and friction that is possible towing 30,000lbs for a set period. Doubt the fluid has broken down or degraded towing if there is no fifth wheel hitch.