4.7 Crank No Start Help Please? (SOLVED)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krmcfarlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2006 4.7. The other day I noticed at start up my truck would idle a little rough, smoke a little bit but after a second or two it ran fine. The next morning I went out to go to work, I started the truck and it died immediately. I started it again and it ran very rough. So I shut it off and drove another vehicle.

I had two codes, random misfire and cylinder 4 misfire. I put a new coil pack on cylinder 4 and checked the plug. It looked fine, not burnt or wet looking and now the truck won’t start at all.

I tested the fuel pressure and I have 58 psi. I even tried starting fluid and the truck would not start, just crank.

Before this issue started I did fill the tank up and added a bottle of Lucas oil injector cleaner to the tank.

From what I’ve gathered so far the next things to check are the Cam & Crank position sensors. How do I go about testing these?

If anyone else has experience with this issue I’d really appreciate the input and hear what fixed your truck.

Thanks, Kody

OP
OP
K

Krmcfarlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update, truck is fixed. After replacing the Cam Position Sensor and it not helping I decided to test compression.

When plugging the plug on cylinder 3 (I believe) I took the plug out of the socket and noticed half was missing. Inside the coil pack was the rest of the plug.

Compression was good and I decided to replace all 8 plugs. I’m glad I did because the gaps on the old plugs ranged from .050-.060. After gapping all of the new plugs and installing them the truck runs smooth again.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956