4.7 oil pressure drops to 0 at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeovanicorro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i got an 02 ram 4.7 that the oil pressure drops to 0 at idle but i might have an idea what it could be earlier this month truck had both head gaskets blown and water mixed with oil and build sludge all around i’ve drained the oil like 2 times and put new one in and can still see a little bit of chocolate milk but im not to sure if its that any help?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles on it/ I am having the same issue with a 06 im working on. You can try 3 things 1. repalce oil pressure sensor 2. flush engine with seafoam/chage oil few times. 3. if none of that works you need to pull engine replace crank bearings and oil pump/clean pickup tube or just find a new engine.

OP
OP
J

jeovanicorro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i did engine swap on my 3.7 ram to a 4.7 i got the engine for 350 it was running it has 169,000 miles and it has new timing chain,guides,and gaskets. i checked oil last night and i can still see water and chocolate milk at the bottom of dipstick going to replace oil and filter and check

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i did engine swap on my 3.7 ram to a 4.7 i got the engine for 350 it was running it has 169,000 miles and it has new timing chain,guides,and gaskets. i checked oil last night and i can still see water and chocolate milk at the bottom of dipstick going to replace oil and filter and check
When the engine was out did you remove the oil pan to flush things out? also depending upon how overheated it was the heads could of warped and need a resurface does not happen every time just depends. If it was run with the bad head gasket it long the pickup will be clogged and the oil pump damaged aswell as the bearings all of which can cause pressure issues.

OP
OP
J

jeovanicorro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
changed the oil drove the truck did a little bit of flooring the pedal and idle good and oil pressure good until i got home i reversed the truck and drops oil pressure in reverse only i tried it in Drive and it had regular oil pressure

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe faulty sensor? i’m doing that next hopefully it’s not internal
you may want to hook a manual oil pressure guage up to it if the sensor doesnt fix it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat