4.7 Ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickSteel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8 Magnum
Hello all,

I have a 2013 4.7 1500 with nearly 140K on it that I've been having some issues with recently.

Truck always has a tick on startup, it's pretty loud when the engine first starts but it quiets down to nearly silent once it's heated up. The issue is that it used to be completely quiet when it was fully heated up, but now I can still hear it, it's not as loud as it is on startup. but it's there.

For the past 30K miles, the truck also feels like the engine hits a wall at 4K RPMs during WOT too. Like it literally feels like you let off the gas fully until it hits 5K and downshifts.

I preformed a quicklearn for the transmission after upgrading it, and after a few thousand miles I decided to do a few 0-60 (around 10) so the transmission could learn and I noticed that on some pulls from a dead stop, the engine feels like it has nothing to give at all. Other times, it'll snap your head back and chirp the tires.

On top of this, the engine also "surges" (I'm not sure how to put this) from 1K RPM to 2K RPM when accelerating from 4th gear with light acceleration. The RPMs will jump around (around 100 or so) until it shifts into 5th at 2K.

I have confirmed multiple times this is not a transmission issue as the torque converter stays locked when this happens and there's no metal in the pan the last time I dropped it (4K ago) and it was doing it then. I thought it was plugs/wires/coils as they're far past their intervals, but the ticking is concerning me. Plugs were replaced at 90K.

Oil pressure is great, don't have any CELs.

Thanks for the help. If needed, I can post a video of the tick.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try to get a video of the noise i have worked on a ton of 4.7s most likely can tell you what it is if you can record it.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to the Chrysler dealer hemi tick is normal

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Did you ever get this resolved?

I was wondering if one of the coils was going.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio