4.7 to 5.7 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
iirc its alot of work ive read threads on other forums about these swaps, notching the oil pan and moving mouts and what not, thats on the 02's i believe in a 04 and up its a easier feat, one day i may find out if its worth it or not....

T-Muns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm hoping I don't have to move any mounts. I'm getting the motor mounts from the 03 hemi so it should bolt up to the frame ok. Called a dodge dealer and the donor has the exact same transmission as mine. A lot of my truck is actually a 2003 despite it actually being a 2002. I've had a few headaches and return trips to the parts store.

I read something about oil pan clearance but it was with people putting hemis into dakotas.

From what I've read, the real pain is with the wiring. People try to do the swap without getting the donor wiring harness & computers. Then they have weird electrical and idle / shifting problems.

blackshadow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know a guy that is in our club here in va that has done the swap and he can tell you everything that you will need, he did his from a 02 to an 05 5.7 and he did a very nice job u can hardley tell.

T-Muns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome! How can I get in touch with him? Think he'd mind giving me a few minutes of his time?

blackshadow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am sure that he would be tickled to help, if you go to our local club @ sovadodgetrucks.com and look up glsgunner, his name is jerimy and tell him I sent you and I am sure he will help you. if you have trouble let me know I and I will get you his #

T-Muns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. I signed up and looked through the member list, but no glsgunner. I did see a jeremy spiker, but I don't know if he is the same dude you're talking about?

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If he could get a complete 05 to run that computer would be the trick I would think.

That's what makes this more realistic for me. With my 05 4.7 all I would have to do is swap the motor and mounts. I can run a 5.7 Hemi on my 4.7 Computer. Just have to run a custom tune. The computer just thinks that there is a nasty bad ass 4.7 in there. I think 05 to 05 would work better, but I don't know that it matters too much. The MDS motors are off limits because my computer would have no idea how to run it.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
^They run lean from what I gathered from Fast4.7s build on DT. He also didnt leave that junkyard 5.7 stock long at all.

sawcut64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^They run lean from what I gathered from Fast4.7s build on DT. He also didnt leave that junkyard 5.7 stock long at all.

No he didn't leave it stock long, I helped him install a Spartan cam that was a bad core(found out as I was about to slide her in)and he ran it for a while, and just recently he installed a Sidewinder. No doubt it's much harder tuning the 4.7 PCM to run a Hemi, but it can be done....he's done it on his 06' and I'm pretty sure Sean has done a couple. Chris/fast4.7 did his own tuning with SCT so he would be a real good person to talk to about it.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Was his a Reg Spartan or a Super Spartan the first time around? Im courious to see his results far as changes between the two cams, smaller duration and wider Lsa with less aggresive ramp speeds.

sawcut64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was his a Reg Spartan or a Super Spartan the first time around? Im courious to see his results far as changes between the two cams, smaller duration and wider Lsa with less aggresive ramp speeds.

The old cam was a Super Spartan, it was a pretty old cam, one of Inertia's first I believe.

blackshadow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I signed up and looked through the member list, but no glsgunner. I did see a jeremy spiker, but I don't know if he is the same dude you're talking about?

I was off a little His title is Vlsgunner1 and when you go through the members list he has a pic of his truck on it, it is a silver one

Last edited:

HemiSwapped06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The old cam was a Super Spartan, it was a pretty old cam, one of Inertia's first I believe.

Oh wow all this talk about me, lol. I swapped to a stock 5.7 save for pacesetter longtube headers and 3" catless duals from a wrecking yard in April/May 2010 and at that time ran it with nothing more than Superchips 91 program for a 4.7. My SCT would not flash the PCM at the time. I finally got the SCT program I wrote for the Hemi onto it and ran it at the track. Ran around 10sec flat 1/8 mile times at full weight in the heat of June. Once I got it running correctly, I slapped a Super Spartan cam in it. The Super Spartan was an absolute beast from 3,500-6,500 rpm, but did not offer torque gains under 3,500 rpm compared to the stock cam. In a heavy quad cab with 32" tall 20s and 3.55 gears on the street torque is king. I loved the cammy idle of the super spartan but the low-end response and low-midrange grunt of the Sidewinder appealed to me. On the 20s there is a huge difference in performance, on the little 26" tall drag radials not so much. I have since removed the headers and dual exhaust, installed the cast iron manifolds, stock cats and Y-pipe, along with a single in/single out 3" magnaflow exiting a 3" pipe in the stock location. Truck is an absolute sleeper that runs 9.20/9.30s in street trim at the track at full weight. I have not had a check engine light in 2,500 miles nor any real driveability issues. The cold weather has brought about a tweak I need to make to the cranking fuel tables on a slightly warm engine.

HemiSwapped06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
videos or it didnt happen

LOL, I really don't know if you are being serious or that is a joke???

This is with nothing more than a Superchips 91 octane 4.7 program. It was lean at WOT as the 4.7 holds closed loop 14.7:1 until over 80 MPH.

YouTube - Dodge Ram QCSB Hemi WOT

1/8 mile run on the Super Spartan and drag radials

YouTube - Chris's 2006 Hemi QC Ram 8.95 run -9-24-2010 Texas Raceway Kennedale

You can clearly see the Mopar performance cable operated throttle body in this clip although it is hiding behind the stock hemi hat. I run low 9s on 20s with the stock Hemi hat and airbox.

YouTube - Dodge Ram Hemi Sidewinder Startup & Rev

YouTube - Sidewinder Cam Hemi Ram Rev and Exhaust

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
LOL, I really don't know if you are being serious or that is a joke???

This is with nothing more than a Superchips 91 octane 4.7 program. It was lean at WOT as the 4.7 holds closed loop 14.7:1 until over 80 MPH.

YouTube - Dodge Ram QCSB Hemi WOT

1/8 mile run on the Super Spartan and drag radials

YouTube - Chris's 2006 Hemi QC Ram 8.95 run -9-24-2010 Texas Raceway Kennedale

You can clearly see the Mopar performance cable operated throttle body in this clip although it is hiding behind the stock hemi hat. I run low 9s on 20s with the stock Hemi hat and airbox.

YouTube - Dodge Ram Hemi Sidewinder Startup & Rev

YouTube - Sidewinder Cam Hemi Ram Rev and Exhaust

9.2 is pretty respectable man. I know how much time and effort it took to get mine to best 9.04. I just like seeing vids of trucks movin quick!!

Props for gettin this quick on a 4.7/5.7 swap

HemiSwapped06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
9.2 is pretty respectable man. I know how much time and effort it took to get mine to best 9.04. I just like seeing vids of trucks movin quick!!

Props for gettin this quick on a 4.7/5.7 swap

Thanks.....

My 9.14 was on a 2.33s 60' time and I trapped at almost 77 mph. The only weight reduction was the back seat and spare tire. I have no doubts it will go 8.80s or quicker on the 17" drag radials despite cast-iron manifolds and single exhaust.

It is fun to cruise around on the street in a truck that looks like like a slow stock 4.7 Ram with exhaust on 20s and then blow the doors off an unsuspecting car/truck. I pissed off a 2003ish GT Mustang in it the other day. I give my service director at work hell in his crew cab Tundra. He wouldn't let me pass him from a 70 mph roll the other day, quickly learned what 2nd gear and 3.55s are capable of about 95 mph.

My next step is to bolt in the APS 2,800 converter I have, along with 4.56 gears. I might also do some BBK Shorty's, I can get them for $285 shipped to my door. With the converter and gears I feel I can just about kiss launching on 20s goodbye. I will probably have to move up to something like the MH 325s Randy runs.

Eventually someday I will have the spare set of heads I have hanging around ported, milled, and install oversize valves into them. My goal is to be able to run 8.50s the way I drive to and from work.

Last edited: