4.7L engine problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi all, just signed up for this forum to ask this question... And I do apologize if it's been asked a thousand times already.
I have an opportunity to buy a 2009 ram 1500 with 4.7 v8 for very cheap. It's a work trunk that's in decent shape, has 120k on the clock and no appearant issues. I don't know much about these trucks as I've never owned a Dodge/Chrysler before. A buddy of mine however is adamant about a 4.7l engine being a huge piece of crap, prone to many problems and with this mileage being pretty much at end of life.
I did some quick searching around the net and do see some problem info on the older 4.7 engines, but nothing on the newer generation.
Can you guys give me some advise here please, should I go for it, or stay away?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stay away and stick with the HEMI, a classic proven engine

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 4.7 is not a bad choice. I had one in my previous truck and it never let me down. I sold mine with 160k miles - not because it was done- but I just needed more power because of my camper.
these engines are very easy to maintain and if they are not purposely killed, they last as long as the hemi. I have 2 co-workers and both having over 250k miles on their trucks.
Important is: oil has to be changed and I changed my spark plugs every 30k miles.
the problems with the 4.7 is, that they are very heat hating. they also have the problem, that if the engine coolant is not changed frequently, corroded material from the engine block clogs the radiator up, which leads to higher temperatures. this is what the engine does not like at all. I replaced the radiator with 100k miles, and while I had everything apart, I replaced the water pump and thermostat with it. I used a thermostat with a lower value- normally there is a 85 C in and I put a 80 C in which lowers the temperature significantly.
everything else is the same like on the hemi - I changed every 60k the transmission fluid and rear axle fluid. other than that- nothing. was running strong and got on highway 17 mpg.
It's like with every vehicle- all depends on maintenance and how the previous owner took care of it.
The only difference to the hemi is the lack of power. but if you don't haul heavy stuff, you will be happy with it.
And always think about- either way- hemi or 4.7- there are good and bad ones out there. it's a 50/50 mix of preventive information and luck.
you can ask 100 people and you will find as many pro as many as contra to the 4.7. You should listen to the people who had one. Like I said- everybody who has or had one don't talk bad about it- at least the people I know- except the lack of power compared with the hemi. But that's why the hemi cost usually more money.
at the end it's your decision.

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you for the responses guys.
Chris1965, yes the power is not important to me, reliability is. I'm just looking for a good cheap utility truck for the house related hauling/moving, etc. of course the problem with this truck is that there's no way of knowing how it was maintained...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca