Getting a New Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Sounds like you have worked out a satisfactory plan. Repowering with a rebuilt engine from a reputable company. Following the good advice about what to address.

With all due respect, I am a fan of diesel truck engines. The $10k for a diesel engine, that gas engine people say "it too expensive" is about what it costs for a rebuilt engine for a gas truck that fails. They fail around the half life or less of a diesel engine. Then the resale value of used diesels is much higher. I have always felt that the $10k cost up front for a diesel upgrade is some of the smartest money I can spend. Last time in 2002 the 7.3 diesel only cost $5k more.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like you have worked out a satisfactory plan. Repowering with a rebuilt engine from a reputable company. Following the good advice about what to address.

With all due respect, I am a fan of diesel truck engines. The $10k for a diesel engine, that gas engine people say "it too expensive" is about what it costs for a rebuilt engine for a gas truck that fails. They fail around the half life or less of a diesel engine. Then the resale value of used diesels is much higher. I have always felt that the $10k cost up front for a diesel upgrade is some of the smartest money I can spend. Last time in 2002 the 7.3 diesel only cost $5k more.
There is no comparison of diesel engines from 2002 to current diesels. All the pollution stuff has neutered many of the diesel benefits.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The one thing I didn't see in these comments was to "keep the idling at a minimum" meaning warm-ups. I know you said it's your GF's truck and I'm sure she doesn't like getting into a cold vehicle, but the long warm-ups ups with barely any oil pressure is what destroys these IMO

bubba5xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
replace my cam and lifters on my 2014 at 150000 with all stock parts. Now at 190000 and no problems

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
There is no comparison of diesel engines from 2002 to current diesels. All the pollution stuff has neutered many of the diesel benefits.
Hi Huntergreen,
This is another popular misconception. I drove a 7.3 liter diesel Ford for 20 years. With some bolt on parts, my best mileage was 23.8. It needed no DEF, but the engine was anemic. It made 250 hp with a 4 speed trans. Towing was not that easy. Now I have a modern Ram diesel making 385 hp with a 6 speed trans. It is like a spaceship. It is quiet, comfortable, and pulls like a 20 mule team. It gets close to 22 mpg empty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357