• Rebuild

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Replace

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Push The Truck Off A Cliff And Buy A Toyota

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skeptic68W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey fellas,

Let me preface this by saying that I know there are already a f**k ton of transmission threads out there on all the dodge forums. I am in the process of reading all I can at the moment, but if someone feels kind and would be able to weigh in for me in this thread it might save me a big headache.

Now, my situation is pretty simple. I've got a 2001 Ram 1500 with a 5.9 and a 46re. It's been acting up and giving me the P1740 code so I am troubleshooting that at the moment. Unfortunately, with the multiple issues the trans has, I suspect it will be coming out of the truck relatively soon.
I don't usually tow or haul large loads with the truck, but I would like to do this correctly and not have to **** with it ever again. I'm not trying to do the cheapest rebuild possible and do it again in a year.

Since so many people have had major issues with local shop rebuilds, the way I see it I have 2 options.

Option 1: Buy the rebuild parts and a torque converter, drop the trans and take the trans and the parts to a local shop to be rebuilt and then put it back in.

Pros:
-Cheapest
-I get to pick the parts

Cons:
-No warranty
-I don't know a damn thing about the internals of an automatic transmission so finding the best parts may be a challenge
-Trans tech might jack up the rebuild
-Truck will be out of commission while the trans is in the shop

Option 2: Buy a reman unit and install it.

Pros:
-Warranty (although if it fails I still have the take the ******* back out again)
-Truck can be in and out of the garage in a weekend
-Lower chance of the rebuild going wrong or being performed half-ass
-My roommate works for a honda dealer and should be able to get a discount and free shipping on a Jasper reman
-Since I don't know every issue with the current trans, this is a blanket fix

Cons:
-Most expensive option (college kid on a budget here)
-May not have the BEST parts in it unless I spend more on the trans than the truck is worth

So what are your thoughts? If you think I should rebuild, what kit would you suggest and why? I talked to a guy at PATC and he suggested the k4 kit but it's $618 WITHOUT a torque converter or rebuild labor so I'd be approaching reman price by the time I mess with that. I think that might be excessive for my application.

Thanks in advance,
Skeptic

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I went with a Mopar Reman unit, great warranty best I could find up here but not cheap. Now if I lived down in the states it would have been a Patc unit.

I say reman not rebuilt.

OP
OP
Skeptic68W

Skeptic68W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I went with a Mopar Reman unit, great warranty best I could find up here but not cheap. Now if I lived down in the states it would have been a Patc unit.

I say reman not rebuilt.

What kind of price/warranty? I realize it might be different up there.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I had it installed by the Dodge dealer so that said, the tranny and tq was $2000 add $1000 for install and other parts. I added a Mopar performance deep pan and updated cooling lines. 160k three year warranty. Four years 200k+ later it is still working fine even behind the 5.9 thats built.

Link to what I used; TRANSMISSION PACKAGE made by Chrysler. #R4882494AB

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
GOOD reman transmissions are hard to find. Jasper, makes kinda crap remans, PowerTorque sucks...etc.....The best remans are either Mopar like Mark said, or PATC.

A locally built transmission is okay AS LONG AS you keep all your receipts and have service performed at the shop. That way if it goes out, it's on THEM, not you.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Jasper never, bad rep all around even up here.

Ask your bud if he can have the tranny rebuilt at his shop (if he likes that techs work) or if he knows how to rebuild it and the two of you rebuild it.

OP
OP
Skeptic68W

Skeptic68W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Jasper never, bad rep all around even up here.

Ask your bud if he can have the tranny rebuilt at his shop (if he likes that techs work) or if he knows how to rebuild it and the two of you rebuild it.

Well, my roommate works as a service writer at a honda dealership. According to him, they don't rebuild **** there...they just order remans and install them so I wouldn't be able to get it done there.

I wouldn't be opposed to attempting the rebuild myself if I had someone with experience with me who could make sure I didn't **** anything up.

I am going to call around to some local places and see what a rebuild with install will run me, but I assume it's going to be like $3000 or something stupid when it's all said and done and for that money I could have a PATC mega viper and a billet converter.....or pay next semester's tuition haha. :flipthebird:

98GreenRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Jasper or Monster in a box both costly but worth the money

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I would rather go with patc over jasper. I don't know too much about Jaspers trannies but I hear more bad reviews about them than patc or monster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98GreenRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Idk who lied to yall bout jasper but its one of the best names in replacment motors & trans

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every single person I know personally that purchased either Jasper motors or transmissions, ALL had major breakdowns within the first two years. They are garbage rebuilds with inferior parts in my humble opinion. I have never once heard a good review of anything Jasper sells. You get what you pay for, cheap = low quality.

98GreenRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Idk what you call cheap bc jasper is kinda costly we have two trucks with jasper engines ones a gmc serria 350 and the other is a dodge ram 318 never had any problems...my friend has a jasper trans in his cummins no let downs yet and another buddy has a jasper 300 straight 6 engine in his old ford...but I understand there's good and bad in all companies

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Idk who lied to yall bout jasper but its one of the best names in replacment motors & trans

Nobody lied to me this is over many many years of experaince. Hands down they have a bad rep for there products.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Monster Transmissions aren't much better when I started digging up on them when looking for a new trans for mine.

Not as bad as Jasper, but still. I know a guy that has been through SEVEN (7) Jasper transmissions in the past 2 years.