46re torque converter locking and unlocking. Also no overdrive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Well Ive got a 1998 Ram 1500 5.2 2wd 46RE. For the past month, the truck has had a weird shifting issue. On point and at exactly every time, when the truck reaches the 3-4 upshift mark, the rpms jump about 400 or so rpm for a second or 2. If im going uphill, that will sometimes stay like that until i let off. It also seems like the overdrive doesnt work, since rpms are higher. Also theres no rpm change which o/d off. Important thing to note, when O/D is off, where the rpm jumps, it goes down a few hundred in rpm, like it normally would.

What I think is happening, is the TC locks and then unlocks, based on live data scans.

Im beyond lost on a solution though. Ive replaced...
Throttle Position Sensor
TCC and O/D solenoid
New brake lamp switch
New 3-4 shift spring (Previous one was fine)
Trans speed sensor is a few months old
Gov pressure sensor and soleniod are new from a previous repair
Fluid is brand new
Connections are clean
NO CODES

Any insight from anyone? Id really like to try and fix this without going to a shop.
Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP

1998RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Well Ive got a 1998 Ram 1500 5.2 2wd 46RE. For the past month, the truck has had a weird shifting issue. On point and at exactly every time, when the truck reaches the 3-4 upshift mark, the rpms jump about 400 or so rpm for a second or 2. If im going uphill, that will sometimes stay like that until i let off. It also seems like the overdrive doesnt work, since rpms are higher. Also theres no rpm change which o/d off. Important thing to note, when O/D is off, where the rpm jumps, it goes down a few hundred in rpm, like it normally would.

What I think is happening, is the TC locks and then unlocks, based on live data scans.

Im beyond lost on a solution though. Ive replaced...
Throttle Position Sensor
TCC and O/D solenoid
New brake lamp switch
New 3-4 shift spring (Previous one was fine)
Trans speed sensor is a few months old
Gov pressure sensor and soleniod are new from a previous repair
Fluid is brand new
Connections are clean
NO CODES

Any insight from anyone? Id really like to try and fix this without going to a shop.
Thanks
***********UPDATE***********
I brought it into the transmission shop a few months ago and they were able to rebuild it. Turned out it was the 4th clutch piston that got worn out, hence why is was being funky going into overdrive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357