Torque converter locking/unlocking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Kind of an odd one that started happening a few weeks ago. At first, I thought it was just me, but it's definitely not.

Keeping it simple, when I leave from work and hit the highway, everything's fine, but shortly after the transmission shifts into overdrive, it does what feels like the torque converter unlocking and then relocking. Basically, the RPM's will suddenly jump a few hundred, and then just as quickly settle back down to where they were. A few things I've noted...

1. At the moment, it ONLY does this in one, specific area of highway when I'm leaving work in the morning. I have yet to observe the problem anywhere or anytime else. I can literally more-or-less tell you when it's going to happen.

2. After doing this cycle 1-3 times, the problem doesn't flare up again for the rest of the drive.

3. This section of highway has a few bumps, one of which almost always seems to cause the issue. I had this same, exact problem a few years back, and it turned out to be a faulty TPS (another -1 to O'Reilly's electronics). Back then, I observed a dead spot in the range when I hooked up my scanner, but this time, nothing unusual; the output smoothly increases/decreases with pedal input. Note however that hitting bumps isn't the only thing that triggers the problem, it just seems to happen randomly but so far, only during this short stretch of highway.

4. Transmission fluid is full and clean. I should hope so since I changed it out just last summer, LOL.

From the brief reading I've done, engine misfires seem to be a common cause. I haven't actually observed any, and scanning the computer revealed no codes, pending or otherwise. My plugs ARE a few years old (NGK BKR6E), which contrasts with my old habit of replacing them once a year even after my plenum gasket got fixed. I just got lazy, LOL. Cap and rotor are a about a year older.

Anyone got any suggestions of where to start?

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
I went through 10 TPS sensors to fix it. When it’s in od and catches up with the TPS voltage and throttle position, the computer turns off OD lock up. Step on it a Little, you can feel and hear it go in lock up. If that’s what you have happening, get a test or volt meter.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So, it's been quite a while since I posted this, but a bit of a follow up.

I replaced the TPS with an NTK, and the issue has not resurfaced. The engine also seems ever so slightly smoother to accelerate from a stop, although it's small enough that it could just as well be attributed to placebo effect.

Is there a general lifespan of TPS? There wasn't anything ever really wrong with the original one that I replaced waaay the hell back (just a preventative thing), but the Borg Warner didn't make it a year before acquiring a "dead" spot, and the one I replaced it with was a genuine Mopar that I had been running for at least several years.

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What NTS did you get? My truck does this same thing you describe

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
This one here...

Since posting, problem still hasn't occurred again, so I'm gonna say that was it!

Also, I wouldn't let the "economy" badge fool you. Seems Rock Auto has classified a lot of NTK sensors as such despite the fact that they're my #1 go-to whenever I can get 'em. I have yet to have a single problem with anything I've bought NGK/NTK.