46re Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sumnig66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l v8 Magnum
Hey guys so I'm working on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l V8 magnum 4x4 with a 46re Transmission. The engine runs fine and has 200k miles on it But also has trouble shifting 1st through 2nd goes into reverse just fine so today I dropped the transmission Pan And I'm no rocket surgeon But I'm pretty sure this is a little more than recommended. Any suggestions would be much appreciated I paid 1000 bucks prepared to buy a new transmission.. just want to make sure this one is not worth fixingSnapchat-1191090457.jpgSnapchat-915933009.jpg20220721_110317.jpg20220721_101909.jpg20220721_101930.jpg

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Doesn't matter what's in the pan...You said it wasn't working correctly. A complete teardown is warranted, which, unless you buy a brand new dealer supplied unit, is what happens when you get a "new" transmission....You get a unit that has been torn down, rebuilt, tested and shipped. So either do yours or buy a rebuild.

tonymartin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the main problem with this transmission is the govenor sileniod mount plate doesnt have a big enough hole to suck transwmission fluid through. i suggest taking the plate out and drilling the whole big enough to allow the fluid proper clearance. another thing is they changed the fluid #2 is no longer available. there is a 50/50n fluid that is half synthetic and half regular. It works great. When you change the filter and fluid if you do these two things it will work perfect

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
the main problem with this transmission is the govenor sileniod mount plate doesnt have a big enough hole to suck transwmission fluid through. i suggest taking the plate out and drilling the whole big enough to allow the fluid proper clearance. another thing is they changed the fluid #2 is no longer available. there is a 50/50n fluid that is half synthetic and half regular. It works great. When you change the filter and fluid if you do these two things it will work perfect
We've probably replaced 20 governor solenoids/transducer kits, using stock parts, H/D Borg Warner parts, and Allison upgrade kits and never had an issue from the size of the feed hole or fluid flow.

No idea what the "#2" fluid is you refer to, other than the early Dextron 2 dinosaur *** from the 60/70/80's. The OEM fluid for that year should have been ATF+3, which was considered a "50/50 synthetic blend", and an improvement over the Dextron. Due to the overheating issues - partly from the intermediate shaft lube flow issue, and NOTHING to do with the governor circuit flow - the ATF+3 was phased out and replaced with ATF+4, which is considered a full synthetic with a higher temp tolerance.

So with that said - how is your "work perfect" fix of installing a larger feed hole and doing a fluid change going to repair the damage already done? That isn't normal clutch debris in the pics - the metal shards show that there are hard parts being damaged and the trans is likely to fully fail soon. A fluid/filter change (and governor parts replacement) is more of a band-aid from the "limp in to trade in" fix page than an actual solution to FIX something.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990