Transmission only slips in Forward gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Francis03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9 L
I need some help diagnosing my 2001 Ram 1500 5.2 with the 46re. I bought the truck because it did not run and planned to flip it. Once I got it running I also find out that the transmission slips only in forward gears; reverse feels fine. So after doing a few searches I decided to dig into the transmission and put a rebuild kit in it assuming that the rear clutch is slipping. Once I got it out and started to go through it, I seems that someone else had recently also rebuilt it. I ended up putting a new torque converter in, new clutches, and all new seals. After reinstalling it, it has the same problem. Nothing has changed. The truck has a aftermarket transmission cooler and all new fluid and filter. The only thing i did not do is dig into the valve body. Also, I was told that when you unplug the 8 pin connector on the top of the transmission that the truck will only shift in manual 1st and second. My truck slips in D, 1, 2, whether its plugged in or not. Any ideas?