46re transmission replacement (???)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big_Tim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8 Magnum
Hey fellas, I’ve got a 2001 ram 1500, 5.2L magnum, 154k miles on the body, 500 miles on the rebuilt engine, and 6,000 miles max on the rebuilt 46re 4 speed automatic transmission. Recently I’ve been having issues(surprise) with mild slippage between 1st and 2nd gears. I thought; ok, I’ll add Lucas, and drive easy, and that issue has lessened slightly. But then my speedometer, ABS light, and E-brake/ parking brake light began acting erratically. Replaced the rear speed sensor with no results, and then I replaced the transmission output sensor. When I replaced the output sensor, I noticed it’s magnetic tip had attracted fine metal shavings from inside the tranny. Replaced it, reset the PCM, problem solved for a few days. Removed the new sensor, more metal filings. Cleaned, reinstalled, reset PCM, engine light gone. Speedometer worked normally for about 70 miles then resumed misbehaving. Reinstalled the freshly cleaned original OEM sensor, same results. My question: is there a newer transmission that fits the same specs as the 46re, and if so, is it more cost effective to replace the 46re or get it fixed again? At wits end, please help.

Grizman404

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
In my opinion the 46re is a good trans. Basically the same torqueflight trans dodge has run since the late 60s early 70s, just electronically controlled through pressure governors. When the trans was rebuilt was atf+4 trans fluid used and did you replace the trans cooler? Cause if you neglected the trans cooler replacement then it could be shavings left over from when the trans originally went out, and if universal fluid or the wrong fluid was used it could cause problems such as slippage and metal shavings. If the above procedures where performed then the transmission shop more than likely made a mistake on the rebuild.. imo a reman 46re would do you fine, unless you have a trans shop you completely trust.. and have them replace all the pressure solenoids and the OD sensor.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The 46RE is a solid trans in my "professional" opinion. I have been building and repairing Chrysler transmission for about 19 years now. Many of the failed units that come in have been poorly maintained or they did something they probably shouldn't have been doing like towing heavier than they should have been and the trans couldn't dissipate the excess heat.

With that said, as long as your case is structurally sound and your internal hard parts are okay, an overhaul would be the way to go. A quality performance overhaul kit, Kevlar bands, a shift kit and a good torque converter will make your 46RE a soild daily driver and will deliver the performance that you're looking for.

LeonS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2000 dodge ram 1500 46 re trans reverse went Out it will go into reverse but nothing happens