47RE Transmission issues..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
So, my '97 has a built 47RE (3/2012) with red clutches, Suncoast triple-disc converter, HB valve body, kevlar bands, etc..

Monday it started acting up, as it decided it didn't want to engage 1st gear at all, either automatically, or manually selecting it.. It wouldn't automatically select 2nd, either, but would do so, manually. 3rd, 4th, Lockup worked fine.
Tuesday morning, same thing.. No 1st gear, only manual 2nd, 3/4/LU fine.. After work: SURPRISE! 1st gear was back and working normally.
Wednesday morning, groundhog day.. Same as Tuesday morning. Wednesday afternoon, seemed fine.... Until I stopped and put it in park, to take a phone call. Upon resuming forward motion, go figure.. It was back to messed up actions.

This morning, an addition to the issue..
no 1st, only manual 2nd (as before).. only this time, when you give throttle, and it tries to select 3rd, it automatically goes to 4th + Lockup!, and damned near stalls the truck..

I'm clueless, and the "rebuilder" is apparently making no attempt to return calls..

!@#$&*:killer:

I'm NWAS when it comes to working on auto transmission, but I'm not scared to.. I've just never been successful when it comes to "repairs" on them..
I've read where it sound to be a Governor Pressure Solenoid and a pressure sensor/transducer, but I don't want to throw parts at it, hoping for a "bulls eye", as I've never been good at darts..

Any of you real familiar with auto transmission troubleshooting and such? I sure could use some help!

Thanks in advance.
Rogan

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I was having the same issues, replaced the governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor and she has been shifting perfectly ever since. Mine started with delayed shifted, and i would have to let off the accelerator and it would shift after a second or two, than it would get confused and not know which one to shift to and go up, than right back down. But those two fixed my issues, been running perfectly ever since.

OP
OP
Rogan68

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
so, would yours engage 1st gear, at all? Mine acts like it doesn't even exist, 95% of the time..

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
yes, it would here and there, but honestly it seemed like the whole tranny was on crack and didn't have any idea of what it wanted to do. really annoying in city and highway driving. i did a full fluid flush, replaced the filter, and had the solenoid and pressure sensor replaced all in one fail swoop. had it all done for under $300 professionally by a really good tranny shop out here.

OP
OP
Rogan68

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
Thanks!
I'll be replacing the Output Shaft Speed sensor tonight, to see if that (at least) fixes part of the issues(s)..

edit

I just got off the phone with the owner of Cascade Transmissions in Oregon. I saw a video on youtube of his, on how to replace the governor solenoid, etc..
I shot them a quick message concerning my trans, and 10 minutes later, he gave me a call. He listened to the whole story/scenario, and made suggestions as to what I should try first (output shaft speed sensor, $16). He said try that before spending more money, to see if it at least makes a change..
Never tried to sell me anything, just gave me advice, as well as some nickel-tour education on how the trans works, and what it looks for.

EXCELLENT customer service, in my opinion.. If I do need to order a governor solenoid and such, I know where I'll be buying it!

Last edited:

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
yeah, places like that are good know about! People who actually take care of the customer, whether or not its their customer doesn't matter, just take care of them the best that you can. Those are the places that will last long term because the best reference is the one you just gave, no purchase, your not even near him, and he still helped, gave you advice, and didn't expect you to buy anything from him. i love places like that, and try to use them whenever i can

OP
OP
Rogan68

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
I totally agree. If anyone is interested, it is www.cascadetransmission.com, located in Oregon.

Another great guy is Tim @ TRE Diesel Home Page located in Virginia. I left him a voicemail on Friday morning. Friday evening, he called me back.. while he's on vacation on the west coast! He also spent about 10-15min on the phone with me, listening to the issues I'm experiencing. He said he has the parts I'll need on the shelf. He can ship them Monday, and I'll have them Tuesday. That's awesome customer service on both accounts!

BTW, I replaced my Output Speed Sensor friday evening, but I still get the code P0720 even after I clear it, so there's obviously something amiss there..

capybill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Hi Y'all I have a 2005 5.9 4x4 and have had some issues with the trans. It seems as if the main shaft has very small holes which limits adequate flow to the overdrive and the thrust bearings get burned up. Also the check valve in the coolerline restricts the flow!
I would really appreciate any feedback on this situation. I tow a 10k trailer and only want economy!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The check valve is known to restrict flow most folks do a check valve delete. And really if you are towing you should probably disengage the Overdrive anyway.

Bandit-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 L
I just found out that my truck has this very same trans. the 47 re. But mine has totally different issues.

The previous owner was out in the mud having fun when he suddenly lost all forward gears.

The fluid level is fine, it is clean and there`s no metal shavings visible in the fluid.

Reverse still works fine, goes right in and pulls hard so I would think the torque converter should be ok.

Any one have any ideas as to what could have broke?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley