5.9 v8 is going be the death of me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ill try another throttle possition sensor today, then is there any way to "test" injectors?

Quick search yielded this:
64d854d58cb946b13644257ea6a7a53b.jpg

If an injector is stuck open or closed, I would also imagine the voltage would be steady instead of alternating.

OP
OP
S

suede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
thats easy to check if you have a vehicle that will run....

OP
OP
S

suede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
they all ohmed out fine, took them off, found out there is a place in town that can hook them up and test them individually.... so we will find out tomorrow

OP
OP
S

suede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
injectors were cleaned, new orings, flow tested, new baskets, etc. put back in, still no dice.... tried a engine coolant temp sensor, as someone had suggested that it may be leaving it in closed loop dumping fuel in but that didnt help either..... im really at a loss with this one...

if its left alone a few days and you try it, it has the roughest idle ever for about 10 seconds then its flooded out and wont run at all, what else would cause injectors to spray too much fuel?

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
Try to start it with the pre cat 02 sensor unscrewed. Easy test to see if your cat is clogged and choking the engine.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
injectors were cleaned, new orings, flow tested, new baskets, etc. put back in, still no dice.... tried a engine coolant temp sensor, as someone had suggested that it may be leaving it in closed loop dumping fuel in but that didnt help either..... im really at a loss with this one...

if its left alone a few days and you try it, it has the roughest idle ever for about 10 seconds then its flooded out and wont run at all, what else would cause injectors to spray too much fuel?

I don't know about your Gen fuel injection, but in the 1st Gen tb injection was ground sensitive. I made the mistake of not hooking up one of the engine grounds, and the injectors went full rich, and about drown that 318.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
The computer richens on cold starts and during cold weather. Also depends on what sensors are working which mode it starts in. It also gets a multiplier for cranking. I was looking through the ecu last night. I'm guessing it's not your problem tho. Just disconnect battery for a while and if that don't work it isn't computer related. Also unplug the o2 from its harness and see if it starts. I been following your posts but your always a step ahead of my responses

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Have you checked your spark plugs? If the engine is indeed flooding, the plugs are likely wet-fouled and won't fire, not to mention smell really gassy. This would at least confirm the problem.

OP
OP
S

suede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
plugs are decent, and like i said, if its sat for a couple days, it will start and run like dog crap on the verge of dying for about 10-20 seconds and then its no dice till you let it set a few days and it will do the same thing

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Could try unplugging the front 02 and attempting a start. Preset fuel conditions when you do so.

Also back at the beginning you mentioned 45psi fuel pressure and that it drops off when cranking. 45 is almost too low according to spec. Also you said that when a buddy poured fuel in the tb that was the closest you got to it running. Seems possible your fuel pump may not be able to keep up and isn't holding pressure.

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
plugs are decent, and like i said, if its sat for a couple days, it will start and run like dog crap on the verge of dying for about 10-20 seconds and then its no dice till you let it set a few days and it will do the same thing

did you try removing your O2 sensor (pre cat) sounds a lot like your cat has collapsed and isn't letting your engine breath.

if your stated PSI is 50-55 then you're fine. If pouring gas down the intake doesn't help its not a supply issue.

Last edited:

skinywhitejesus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i dont actually know what im talking about .. so take this with a grain of salt.. but when u floor a modern vehicle it's actually killing fuel to try to clear a flood. .. since this is the only time your vehicle show's any signs of life id be looking for a reason for the injectors to be pulsing when they shouldnt be. coolant temp sensor keeps popping up when i think about it.. but since we dont know what the previous owner did to the truck a hinkey ground could also keep the injectors open during cranking. i would check the injector plugs with a analog meter during cranking to see if theyre being cycled. or whatever new stuff replaces a meter that reacts fast enough. ... hope some of this nonsense helps.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
did you try removing your O2 sensor (pre cat) sounds a lot like your cat has collapsed and isn't letting your engine breath.

if your stated PSI is 50-55 then you're fine. If pouring gas down the intake doesn't help its not a supply issue.

Engine should still start and idle with collapsed cat. Just choke and bog under throttle.

Earlier he stated his psi was 45 but unsteadily. Also that pouring gas down was the closest it's gotten to staying running

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I'm thinking possibly the regulator or fuel pump is screwed and not holding enough pressure causing you to run too lean to run

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Engine should still start and idle with collapsed cat. Just choke and bog under throttle.

Earlier he stated his psi was 45 but unsteadily. Also that pouring gas down was the closest it's gotten to staying running

I'm honestly a bit out of my league on this one, but I can tell you I had a Toyota Corolla a few years back that suddenly wouldn't start. The issue was diagnosed as being a faulty O2 sensor.
Put a new sensor in and the problem went away.

To this day I don't know how an O2 sensor would do that, but there ya have it.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I believe combustion requires 3 things: fuel; compression, and spark(includes spark timing).