50mph vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 lev2 tradesman 8ft bed, 1000miles. Heavy Duty. At 50mph it has a harmonius low freq vibration. This truck is very beefy so
I know about the HD noises. But this is different. Can't put my finger on it. Some slight feel in the steering wheel. Dealer just pulled all the wheels and checked balance. All good.
Anyone else have this same issue.? At that speed, I put it in neutral and it was still there. Below 50 its fine. Goes thru the gears ok but when slowing down to stop,, at about 10mph before stopping it sometimes makes a clunking sound in the front end area. Any ideas?

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Try turning off the MDS off to remove that from the list of possible culprits.

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a similar vibration in my 2021 1500 from 54mph to 62 mph. Mine is coming from the rear end of my truck as my steering wheel doesn't move but I can feel it in my seat. I also disable my MDS every time I drive my truck, but while trying to isolate the cause of the vibration I turned MDS back on and let it shift into ECO mode, downshifted manually to a lower gear to change the RPM of the engine, even shifted into neutral and coasted. The vibration was still present while doing all of the previous listed changes. I also noticed while towing a trailer with golf cart on it during that speed range it almost seemed like the truck was misfiring or lugging/chugging to maintain that speed. I am going to rotate my tires this weekend to see if it changes the source of the vibration. If not I will be making a trip to the dealership to have them look at it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Let me know if you discover anything. My thoughts are that eventually somethings going to break. Trying to avoid that. My noise sounds like the noise a huge freight train engine makes. But ever suttle.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have the same truck with a horrendous vibration in the rear when it hits a crack in the road. Running 50 lbs. front and 40 lb. air in rear tires. On a rough road it rides like a limo. I can get on the back bumper and jump 1 time and it vibrates 3 or 4 times. I put 500 lbs. of sand bags in the bed (front, middle and rear) and it made absolutely no difference. I just traded an 18’ with the CTD and short bed that rode a lot better than this. I haven’t taken it to the dealer as I don’t know how to explain to them what it’s doing. I’m thinking maybe it is the swing bearing causing the vibration I’m feeling and might be yours also.

2500 miles on mine so far.

OP
OP
L

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the same truck with a horrendous vibration in the rear when it hits a crack in the road. Running 50 lbs. front and 40 lb. air in rear tires. On a rough road it rides like a limo. I can get on the back bumper and jump 1 time and it vibrates 3 or 4 times. I put 500 lbs. of sand bags in the bed (front, middle and rear) and it made absolutely no difference. I just traded an 18’ with the CTD and short bed that rode a lot better than this. I haven’t taken it to the dealer as I don’t know how to explain to them what it’s doing. I’m thinking maybe it is the swing bearing causing the vibration I’m feeling and might be yours also.

2500 miles on mine so far.
That sounds like inadequate shocks . JEZ!!! Brand new truck!

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Hey guys - while I wait for my truck to arrive, I hope issues like this won’t surface. I do think the suspension is where to spend some time. @Lee Pedrick stated shocks…are they leaking around the seal? Any evidence of loose tie-rods, suspension parts etc if you put it up in the air?

One thing my girl's 2020 Lexus has is a wheel balance issue if not balanced under simulated load. Therefore, if the dealership gives your truck a clean bill of health, 'Road Force" wheel balancing is what completely cleared it up for me and her rig. Good Luck.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I haven’t taken it to the dealer as I don’t know how to explain to them what it’s doing. I’m thinking maybe it is the swing bearing causing the vibration I’m feeling and might be yours also.

Hey @OLEJOE bring this thread to them. Nothing wrong with showing them what guys are running into. I've done this with my motorcycle when not able to clearly articulate the problem. There were a few replies that stood out to one of the lead mechanics and it was fixed. It might be worth a try.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Try getting your tires road forced balanced for starters. That seems to have cured the majority of the vibration issues in the HD trucks.

OP
OP
L

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys - while I wait for my truck to arrive, I hope issues like this won’t surface. I do think the suspension is where to spend some time. @Lee Pedrick stated shocks…are they leaking around the seal? Any evidence of loose tie-rods, suspension parts etc if you put it up in the air?

One thing my girl's 2020 Lexus has is a wheel balance issue if not balanced under simulated load. Therefore, if the dealership gives your truck a clean bill of health, 'Road Force" wheel balancing is what completely cleared it up for me and her rig. Good Luck.
Checked all wheels, all balanced

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Static: Applying weight to a calculated mid-point balance area.

Dynamic: Applying weights to exact balance points.

This video explains the difference better, which can be very significant in certain situations: