5100 install...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
At the dealership getting my 5100s put in and ran into a problem. The tech can't get the lower mount plate off of the old strut. It was put on the strut and then assembled. Anyone know how to fix this? 2012 sport btw? Thanks

smarsmar101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X2 on hit it with a hammer. There is a O metal ring on the stock strut, that keeps it from popping off as well. This too can be hit with hammer and it will pop off not damaging the strut.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Thanks guys. The shop wouldn't do it so they put it back together. 180 bucks for nothing. ****! Will that strut cap blow from the pressure when you hit it?

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow those boys at the dealership are something else. It just slides off

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Wow those boys at the dealership are something else. It just slides off

Yeah, I think that they were afraid it would blow up if they tried to take it off. The Forman came over and told me it was against the law because it had a sticker on the side that said "compressed gas do not open." If it'd been earlier in the day I would have borrowed a car and gone back with them off. Not sure who to take them to now. I don't really want to go through this again.

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I think that they were afraid it would blow up if they tried to take it off. The Forman came over and told me it was against the law because it had a sticker on the side that said "compressed gas do not open." If it'd been earlier in the day I would have borrowed a car and gone back with them off. Not sure who to take them to now. I don't really want to go through this again.

Tell them to give you all your money back then. It's not rocket science, a mechanic should know how to do that with no problem. You can do them yourself too. Took me a few hours but I got it done.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Tell them to give you all your money back then. It's not rocket science, a mechanic should know how to do that with no problem. You can do them yourself too. Took me a few hours but I got it done.

If I had a strut compressor I'd probably give it a shot… talked to two other places today and they just shook their heads

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You can rent one, for free kind of at most auto parts stores. Advanced, Autozone, etc will require a deposit but you get it all back when you return the tool. I'd demand my money back though being the dealership didn't do anything. How do they charge for labor when they didn't even do what they said they'd do?

Curious, are you talking the spring mount that sits on the strut? Why didn't it come off? Was it the cap, cause that does pop off. I did my own about a month ago. It's a little work if the hardware is seized up, but it's not bad at all.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Curious said:
Yup… It was that cap. They said they wouldn't dare to take it off because it was under pressure. I'm not gonna fight them for the money… live and learn. I just wish that in the bilstein instructions it had said that it is safe to remove that cap, Because that would have avoided the whole problem. It does SUCK though:mad:

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't like the idea of a $180 lesson, but that's me. I wouldn't pay for something they didn't do. That cap isn't under pressure, on mine it wasn't. It was more like a dust cover or something. The cap popped off with a few taps for myself. The top of the strut was sealed under my cap. I don't know if it changed any on a 2012 though.

If you have any mechanical skills, you should be able to get it done. A little easier with air tools and maybe some lube if anything is seized up. Think most of mine was seized because of the undercarriage rust treatment I had done. Hope it works out for you though. I set mine at 2.8" with 1.75" rear coil spacers and I love how this truck rides now.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
These guys were installing spacers, but helped me figure out the easiest way to get the strut out. They also had the torque specs.

[YT]TsOWEqeOxrM[/YT]

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
These guys were installing spacers, but helped me figure out the easiest way to get the strut out. They also had the torque specs.

[YT]TsOWEqeOxrM[/YT]

I can't see anything…. Nevermind, got it thanks!

Nce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I really can't understand how a dealership can hire tech's that don't have a basic understanding of how things work. They are coil overs, it's not brain surgery.