5th Wheel Hitch-What's the best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I gave up on my 2022 Tradesman 3500 Dually with max tow package factory order. Ordered since March 18th and hasn't been built yet. The max tow package was going to give me the 30k Mopar hitch. I have decided to buy a used 2019 3500 Dually with the 6.7 HO and Aisin transmission but it doesn't have the max tow package.

My question is for those experienced fifth wheel haulers. What is a good 5th wheel hitch? I'll be towing about 2500 miles at a time so I want something that will help smooth out the ride. I have been looking at the B&W, I have their turnover ball gooseneck hitch in my 2500 and have been very happy with it. How does the factory Ram/Curt 30k compare? I just saw a used one on craigslist for $1k

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well you can spend a ton of money on one of these units. In the end they all accomplish the same task. The OE mopar units from what I have seen are made by CURT. Thats what I have, it works fine. I will add though this unit with the adapter legs is built like a tank, and accordingly is freakin heavy. I did upgrade the pin box on my fifth wheel to help with the harsh bumps you will always encounter out on the road. There are units out there have air bags or springs in the hitch, which I dont doubt would ride great, but I didnt want to spend $3-5K on one.

Attachments

• 20220704_132626.jpg
    20220704_132626.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Well you can spend a ton of money on one of these units. In the end they all accomplish the same task. The OE mopar units from what I have seen are made by CURT. Thats what I have, it works fine. I will add though this unit with the adapter legs is built like a tank, and accordingly is freakin heavy. I did upgrade the pin box on my fifth wheel to help with the harsh bumps you will always encounter out on the road. There are units out there have air bags or springs in the hitch, which I dont doubt would ride great, but I didnt want to spend $3-5K on one.
Thanks for the reply. I bought a used a Demco that mounts on the gooseneck ball to tow my toy hauler home after I bought it, it was only about 175 miles. My 6.4 Hemi 2500 got it home but it was straining.

While the Demco seems well built, I like the idea of the 4 point puck system, it just looks more robust.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
I'm running the BW companion on mine. The adapter for the puck plus the hitch is about 200 lbs together and is well made. It has worked great for me, but I don't have any experience with the other options. The trailer has the Morryde pin box it came with. I know there are some upgrade options out there to improve the ride, but it has been ok so long as the roads aren't in horrible shape as it is.

Dfaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an Anderson hitch and love I! An attachment goes on the king pin and attaches to a ball on the hitch and there is absolutely NO chucking at all. Weighs in at about 50 lbs and is rated for 24k lbs, and was around $1000.00 Canadian, so about $20 American lol.
Check it out on the Anderson hitch websit

Roper46

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 CTD
I have been using the Andersen Ultimate for over a year and really like it. The weight of it makes it easier to install and remove for just one person.
20220823_131030.jpg

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Me and I was staying under 20k I would go with a Reese goose box review are great and people I have talked to says same they pull better and smoother than a 5th wheel I can see why got that connection point back down lower at the bed instead of up high like the Anderson or 5th wheel. If I pulled mine more than my little weekend trip yeah I would have one In a heartbeat. DO NOT GO OFF THE SAMPLE LISTING THERE IS DIFFERENT PIN BOX#'s make sure you get right pin box# for your 5th wheel https://www.amazon.com/Reese-94720-...mzn1.fos.17f26c18-b61b-4ce9-8a28-de351f41cffb61KRVAKjIcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

WWSvendsen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6-HO
I am also going to install the Reese Goose Box (16K). Not cheap, but the ride is supposed to be incredible and the safest you can find. Plus, the ability to pull out the goose ball and have your entire bed open is a dealmaker. Otherwise you are pulling (and storing) a 200+ lb. hitch.

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I have an Anderson hitch and love I! An attachment goes on the king pin and attaches to a ball on the hitch and there is absolutely NO chucking at all. Weighs in at about 50 lbs and is rated for 24k lbs, and was around $1000.00 Canadian, so about $20 American lol.
Check it out on the Anderson hitch websit
OP here. I looked closely at the Anderson but after seeing a couple catastrophic failures I decided to go heavier. From what I understand Anderson addressed those issues but I can't get the image of a 16,000 lb 5er sliding forward into the cab.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thin I like about the standard fifth wheel hitches and standard pin box is a really connected feel. I always knew what was going on with the trailer by the feel. It may not be as soft as the bags or cushions in some pin boxes, but being able to feel the trailer is important for me when towing.
I now have the B&W and the ultimate and it feels excellent also. And, unless I have a head-on I think it will hold up just fine.
The only thing that I didn't like was that it moved the pivot point higher above the axle, but the Hellweg and stiffer tires cured the body roll that it caused.

pbzzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2022 ram 2500 6.4 , Cougar XL with shaped cap , Curt A 2500 hitch with no slider . I can turn close to 90degree with NO cIMG_0856.JPGab contact .

pbzzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the 5th wheel hitch is a Reese 19k sidewinder (came with RV). I have the sidewinder feature (rotating point 22" back from pin) locked out so that the front pin is the rotating point . If I find I need more cab clearance I can always get the Curt matching "wedge" , move the rotating point back 22" and have even more cab clearance .