6.4 Power Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2016 Power Wagon.
Dealer informed me my power steering pump was bad and installed a new one (under warranty).
LOVE LOVE LOVE my truck!
This morning it was quite cold in Michigan (high of 9 degrees) and my power steering pump was howling when I started it up. Then I saw fluid in the snow. After I thawed the hood to open it I saw fluid all over the reservoir like it had burped or something. After running for a bit and driving it anyway the howling and leaking stopped. I don't think it should have frozen and the system is sealed.Taking it to the dealer in the morning but can't find anyone who has had similar issues.
Did I say I LOVE my truck?
Snow and other tough situations are not a problem but this PS thing is making me concerned.

Rhonda94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 Power Wagon.
Dealer informed me my power steering pump was bad and installed a new one (under warranty).
LOVE LOVE LOVE my truck!
This morning it was quite cold in Michigan (high of 9 degrees) and my power steering pump was howling when I started it up. Then I saw fluid in the snow. After I thawed the hood to open it I saw fluid all over the reservoir like it had burped or something. After running for a bit and driving it anyway the howling and leaking stopped. I don't think it should have frozen and the system is sealed.Taking it to the dealer in the morning but can't find anyone who has had similar issues.
Did I say I LOVE my truck?
Snow and other tough situations are not a problem but this PS thing is making me concerned.
The tech that installed the pump probably did not burp the system completely so when you started it, it burped some more of that air.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Vicman

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Update.
Suburban Ram in Farmington Hills MI did a great job getting me in quick to look at what was going on. This is important since I live in North Carolina and can't leave the truck anywhere. I really wanted it looked at before I embark on a 700 mile trip through the annals of Appalachia. Thank you again.
We didn't really accomplish much more than give me peace of mind that there was not a major leak but the tech said it was possible it was filled a little too much and in the cold weather (-5 this morning) it could have burped. However the howling of the pump happened again when I left to take it to the dealership this morning and lasted for about 10 miles and went away. Didn't appear to burp again.
It'll be interesting to see if the howling continues when I get back home tomorrow.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wonder if they used the wrong fluid.

Rhonda94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update.
Suburban Ram in Farmington Hills MI did a great job getting me in quick to look at what was going on. This is important since I live in North Carolina and can't leave the truck anywhere. I really wanted it looked at before I embark on a 700 mile trip through the annals of Appalachia. Thank you again.
We didn't really accomplish much more than give me peace of mind that there was not a major leak but the tech said it was possible it was filled a little too much and in the cold weather (-5 this morning) it could have burped. However the howling of the pump happened again when I left to take it to the dealership this morning and lasted for about 10 miles and went away. Didn't appear to burp again.
It'll be interesting to see if the howling continues when I get back home tomorrow.
I would suggest you pick up the front end of your truck and let it run for 5 to 10 minutes while you turn the wheel lock to lock. Any air in the system should clear itself out by that point. If not you can do it with the truck on the ground it's just easier with the front wheels up

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Vicman

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Power steering update.
Took it back to the dealer with juice dripping off the res and some vids of it making noise. They installed a new pump and lines. No more noise. I'll check for juice in a few days.
After reading the report it looks like the original fix cross threaded the mounting holes and they had to helicoil them to get the new pump mounted correctly.
I have a good feeling that all is back to normal in Power Wagon world. We just need some below 30f weather to see if it's cold temp related.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
i also have the ps pump howling for 5-10 sec. cold start,below 30 deg..i have been trying to figure out why.i have asked many people and nobody knows.some guys i heard are taking it in to the dealer and they say "its normal"???if you figure it out could you please post something about it ,it would be greatly appreaciated.thank you

OP
OP
Vicman

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
10-15 seconds IS normal when it's cold outside. 10 miles down the road is not. I've not had any issues since the final repair almost 2 years and 30K miles ago.
I would also say, just the fact that you found this old post (by search?) is a good indicator that my truck was an anomaly and somewhat rare.
Still LOVE my truck!

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
When I had my 05 in Connecticut the steering would be "frozen" if the temps were really cold ( below 10F) when I backed out of my driveway in the morning. I never warmed the engine up, I just start and go. Never howled and never leaked though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley