Power Steering Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeysCars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2004 1500 5.7l developed a power steering leak at the fitting on the high pressure hose. I pulled it, changed the o-rings and put it back, filled it with fluid and did the 10 to 15 turns lock to lock to bleed the air. Now when I crank it and when it's above 1800 rpm's it sounds like an overly amplified supercharger until the rpm drops. I tried the bleeding again to no avail. It drives perfectly! Any ideas, have I burned the pump, I don't know?

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try a new serpentine belt, easy thing to rule out and you could probably use a new one anyways.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My pump never whined, but it got weak. Usually all power steering pumps have the same kind of whine when they’re going out. A pump is about $3x dollars. I went ahead and got the complete assembly with reservoir and pulley for around $100 to save time and hassle.

OP
OP
M

MikeysCars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My pump never whined, but it got weak. Usually all power steering pumps have the same kind of whine when they’re going out. A pump is about $3x dollars. I went ahead and got the complete assembly with reservoir and pulley for around $100 to save time and hassle.
That's what I did, complete new pump, reservoir and pulley. Then the damn rack went out, lol. Now I have a new rack too and all's well! Oh, and a new serpentine belt. Thank ya'll for the responses!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357