8.4, navigation with android smart phone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2018 Ram bighorn recently, and cannot find a way to have google maps navigation, running in the background, but have it interrupt the music/radio when ever it has an instruction to turn at blah blah intersection.

I can run it directly through blue tooth, but then it plays only the navigation. Am I trying something that isn't possible?

akordboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you tried to mute the sound for maps on your phone?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you tried to mute the sound for maps on your phone?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

For some reason, the radio seems to do that for me. When blue tooth is on, the maps on the phone is muted. Not sure why. The older I get, the less I'm understanding these things.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
For some reason, the radio seems to do that for me. When blue tooth is on, the maps on the phone is muted. Not sure why. The older I get, the less I'm understanding these things.
The notifications volume is probably down. You need to turn up the volume while a notification is playing from your phone (using the radio know or steering wheel button).

Try having Google read you the weather and use it to adjust the volume (it plays longer than other prompts).

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The notifications volume is probably down. You need to turn up the volume while a notification is playing from your phone (using the radio know or steering wheel button).

Try having Google read you the weather and use it to adjust the volume (it plays longer than other prompts).

Are you talking about the volume control of the phone itself? Because other notifications from the radio do work fine.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Are you talking about the volume control of the phone itself? Because other notifications from the radio do work fine.
No, the radio itself has a notification volume for Android Auto that is separate from the Bluetooth connection.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, the radio itself has a notification volume for Android Auto that is separate from the Bluetooth connection.

Ok, I looked all over, and cannot find this setting. Can you tell me how to get there?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ok, I looked all over, and cannot find this setting. Can you tell me how to get there?
He already did. Have your phone audibly read you the weather, or something that has a longer voice prompt than the directions. Then adjust the volume while that prompt is playing. It should also affect the volume of the navigation.

or, you have voice prompts for google maps turned off, which is on the main screen of the app. I have apple so I can’t trouble shoot it on my end.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He already did. Have your phone audibly read you the weather, or something that has a longer voice prompt than the directions. Then adjust the volume while that prompt is playing. It should also affect the volume of the navigation.

or, you have voice prompts for google maps turned off, which is on the main screen of the app. I have apple so I can’t trouble shoot it on my end.

Ok, I didn't put that together. Now I get it. I know it's not the voice prompt on the app because it works fine on the phone by itself.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I didn't put that together. Now I get it. I know it's not the voice prompt on the app because it works fine on the phone by itself.

*sigh*. Ok, I'm really stupid I guess. How am I to get the radio to read me a weather report off my phone?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
*sigh*. Ok, I'm really stupid I guess. How am I to get the radio to read me a weather report off my phone?
Do you actually have your phone plugged into the truck with Google Maps/Android Auto on the 8.4 radio screen?

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you actually have your phone plugged into the truck with Google Maps/Android Auto on the 8.4 radio screen?

No, I assumed it would work off blue tooth just like a phone call would?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500