8speed in the driveway and parking lot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToTheDarkSide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2019 6.4 8 speed CC LB with 2000 miles on it. I have put a set of black rhino wheels and nitto exo grapplers (33”) on it that I had left over from a 2013 6.7 g56. Also installed the Mufflex with Magnaflow can on it. The truck is set up just how I want it. However, coming from the diesel word and manual transmission I have noticed some odd tendencies of this 8 speed. Only when I first put it in drive and coast out in first gear. Almost like the throttle stays elevated and then starts to decrease and increase before it shifts. Out on the highway and the back roads the truck is amazing!
I Didn’t really notice this as I test drove a few trucks months before this purchase.
Hoping the opened up exhaust didn’t create an issue.
Also wasn’t sure if a flash from the dealer would help.

Anyways, I’m a first timer here and have been in diesels for a while. Not worth it to me in my world any more.
I appreciate any insight. Thanks

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The first shift of the day from 1st to 2nd is always weird. Just the way it is. The fan clutch also stays activated until it shifts. After that, it’s all good!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ what he said
The first shift 1-2 shift of the day is usually seems different then it's back to normal after that. It must be something in the programming possibly the trans doing a calibration of some sorts?? How weird the shift is isn't really dependant on temp or how long the truck has been running either. The Gen4 truck transmissions have had this first shift "issue" for probably several million miles worth of real world driving.
The 8HP series of transmissions is probably one of the best things Ram has done with these trucks.

OP
OP
ToTheDarkSide

ToTheDarkSide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you both for your replies. I agree that it is a little different right out of the gate. I lock out 8th as soon as I put it in drive but it’ll act the same if I don't. I think I am just used to having that 3rd pedal.
And I also agree that this 8HP is amazing behind the 6.4. The truck is an animal.
I really enjoy driving this truck. Plenty of “smiles per gallon” and it’s not afraid of work

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does letting it idle in neutral help the first shift like in the older ram trucks?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does letting it idle in neutral help the first shift like in the older ram trucks?
Nope, I even back up a good 120' down the driveway and it will still happen sometimes. Maybe it coincidence but it seems if you pause for a second when shifting between reverse and drive that it doesn't happen.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can also try slowly cycling through p r n d before you start driving. That helps purge any air in the internal clutch lines.

The 1-2 "slip shift" can be seen if you datalog the trans. That first shift of the day allows for about 100 rpm of converter slip. All other shifts only allow for 30-50. Not sure why they do it that way, but it does truly seem normal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk