96 2500 V10 won’t crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awillingham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
Hey y’all, just started having trouble with my truck starting. I moved it a couple feet, turned it off, and when I went to turn it back on the key was stuck. After fiddling with it I got it unlocked but the truck wouldn’t crank anymore.

I replaced the starter, starter relay, ignition switch and ignition lock(which had a chunk broken off). It still won’t start, but when I took the starter off and attached a ground to it, it seemed to work fine when I turned the key. The engines not seized, I could turn it via the bolt on the harmonic balancer.

I also tried jumping it after replacing all of the above, just to make sure the batter wasn’t dead after testing for a couple days, still nothing.

I’m not sure what else to try, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

OP
OP
A

awillingham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
Small post on the new starter was broken. Replaced it under warranty, and replaced the starter wires (both the solenoid and motor). It started right up.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Glad the hear it worked out so easy. My 96 V10 is still running the original starter, and everything else, knock on wood. Only replaced power steering pump, ball joints etc and the gas pump in 165,000 miles. Still doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes and I change it every 13,000 miles.
Runs like the day it was delivered to me as a factory ordered truck.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Awesome. Glad it was something easy.

My 99 has 235k on it and still the original starter.

Only non original part is plug wires plugs oil pressure sender and fan.

The truck...just brakes exhaust passenger wheel bearing and u joint multiple times and one driver wheel bearing and I joint. It is due for ball joints...but I do not remember changing them before???

And the fuel pump went at about 145k.

The rest is rust issues. Both rear spring hangers had to be replaced.

Man do I love my V10. It is waiting for a clutch assembly right now...i did have to change the master ***** cylinder also...forgot that2018-03-02 09.59.11.jpg

Matt Bell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just replaced the starter on my 01 v10. Probably didn’t need to, I think I just needed to replace the battery. I had to job to get to though and didn’t want to mess around so just replaced both.