Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jose_96ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.9
I have a 1996 ram 1500 v6 3.9 rear 2wd. I’m having a couple of issues. I had the transmission rebuilt about 3 years ago and it drives decent and shifts smoothly. However 3 things possibly wrong with my truck. I noticed that I can’t seem to go over 80mph not matter how much I floor the pedal. I’m not sure if that is normal for this age vehicle seeing as I was born in 93. Another thing is I don’t seem to have a passing gear at high speeds. In first and second gear I have passing gear but I have to absolutely floor the pedal to its max even then the passing gear I have is not that great. Also sometimes from a complete stop or after making a non stop slight turn I noticed that one I get back on the gas it’s kind of slow to take off. It does not move like a turtle but it doesn’t exactly have that “go” that you would expect. Can anyone help assist what could be my culprits here. Please and thank you.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Catalytic convertor clogging up?
What are your Rpm;s?
Motor not delivering enoug power?

No reason that thing should not go above 80mph.
Me?
I;d check the Cat first thing.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 3.9 was gutless, I don't know if it would go above 80 when new.
It was a marginal motor in a dakota, let alone a 1500.

You may need to adjust the throttle kickdown cable to help on downshifts.

Other than that a good tuneup might be needed. I prefer mopar cap and rotors, summit 8 mm wires, a bit hotter coil and stock oem plugs.
I used to run jeep 4.0 plugs in my 5.9 and they ran better than the stock 5.9 plug but have never tried it in the 3.9 to see if it would respond the same way - the electrode protrudes deeper into the cylinder which moved the flame kernel.

As mentioned above, it could have a restrictive cat or lazy O2 sensors.

MarkMac77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Over 80mph is a tall ask for an old V6 in a fullsize pickup. But, it may also be a bit tired too. Vehicles of that era are more analog than new digital vehicles. The new digital stuff either works, or it doesn’t. It makes diagnosis & repair easy. Older vehicles have multiple components that wear and degrade over time, and as a whole result in marginal performance.

If your distributor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, fuel injectors, etc, are all well used, then your performance may be sluggish. Replacing a single component might not yield a huge improvement.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check to see that the throttle is opening the full way ,maybe it’s not getting all that’s available.