98 1500 3.9L - 42RE or 46RE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tad Marko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum
Howdy!

My mother's 98, 1500, short-bed, 2wd has the four-speed auto. Is this the 42RE or 46RE?

The internet seems vague on this.

I know there's little important difference, but I'm just curious about the details. Or is there an important difference?

Thanks!

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Could have either trans. Easiest visual I.D. is that a 42 RE pan looks like a square with the corner clipped - 46RE has a bump out at the passenger front cover. You can go onto Rock Auto and pull up trans pans to see pics of both pans.

Differences? 46RE has a higher torque rating, being based off a 727 main body. The 42RE is based off the 904 main body and has a lower torque rating, but benefits from lower 1st/2nd gear ratios to help get the truck rolling better. The O/D units physically interchange, but have different direct/O.D. clutch counts in the O/D drum. Valve bodies are pretty much the same, but have different springs and orifice sizes to tailor shift qualities to application.

OP
OP
T

Tad Marko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L Magnum
I found a VIN decoder that has all the build specs for the truck. It indicates it's got a 3.21 rear-end (now to figure out what kind) and a 2.74 first gear ratio, which tells me 42RE. I'll crawl under this weekend and take a look at the pan.