98 Ram 2500 Wheels Hot After Pads, Caliper change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FatMatt336

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Hey recently changed the brake pads and calipers on the front of my 1998 Ram 2500 5.9L V8. Front axle has been swapped out of a 98 1 ton truck so i make sure to get the appropriate sized calipers and pads. However after swapping parts, bleeding the lines and taking it up and down the road for a brief test drive I noticed the front wheels, rotors, calipers and even hubs were very hot. Truck did not drag to one side or another and there was no burning brake smell. The truck now has a little over 100 miles now probably and the front wheels get very hot. Jacked up truck and checked the wheel and its spins fairly well with a little resistance as I would expect with new pads and calipers.

What would all the heat be coming from? Would there still be air in the line? Also I used a piston compressor tool to compress the driver side caliper piston in before determining the caliper slides were seized and new ones were needed. In compressing the caliper piston did I mess something up in the master cylinder? I've done many brake jobs on Fords and Chevys and never ran into this issue so im stumped as to what it could be.