A question about MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've searched the forums but didn't find anything really useful. I'm totally HEMI and MDS illiterate, so bear with me guys. This may be a complete ******* question, but I'm curious.

At what speeds/RPM range is it supposed to engage? I ask this because, I've noticed that my exhaust tends to sometime drone at average speeds (40-55mph) after engaging overdrive, even on a cold engine. Is it supposed to work that way?

Maybe I'm paranoid because the truck is still new to me and the first vehicle I've owned that isn't someone else's used junk.

The truck already had Glasspack (SI/DO) exhaust when I bought it and the resonators are gone.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mds would kick in at those speeds in overdrive. MDS can greatly affect the sound of aftermarket exhaust, so I'm pretty sure that's what you are hearing. Mine was really bad, sounded like a helicopter, made a ***-*** sound, so I got superchips and disabled it.

OP
OP
Roll_HEMI_Tide

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I've read all about the MDS playing hell with aftermarket exhaust and about using tuners to disable it. I just thought it was odd for it to engage so soon on a cold engine.

Oh well, it's time to buy Superchips. Glasspacks sound like total crap with MDS, along with an annoying in-cab drone.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My understanding is that MDS operates whenever operating under <20% throttle.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yeah I think the MDS engages whether the engine is cold or warm.

Yes - I've had 3 vehicles with MDS, an '06 Charger, '07 Charger, and '10 Ram. Kicked on earlier (after cold start) with the '10 Ram than either Charger - actually kind of surprised me how soon it kicked on with the Ram after getting used to the Chargers. I believe the Ram had a newer generation Hemi.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The 07 R/T charger we had would go back and forth on the system going down the highway alot more then I would have thought. The 2012 ram seems to hold either longer periords of time.

OP
OP
Roll_HEMI_Tide

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, that's good to know. I just wanted to make sure that something wasn't up. I thought it engaged after maintaining a certain amount of time at a constant rate of speed.

MK12RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I notice this too on my 12, though to me it sounds like tire roar. I usually drive with the windows down and I can hear it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Roll_HEMI_Tide

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine sounds like a damn 6-cylinder with glasspacks. I don't know what it sounds like outside of the truck, but inside...it gets annoying. It actually has me dreading the 400 mile trip to Florida coming up.

But I'd rather take the Ram than the Civic.

MK12RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Get the resonators put back on. That should help

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2