Newbie with questions - 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve8522

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/ 8-speed trans
Hello everyone! I purchased my 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie in October of last year and I truly love the truck. I've been following the forum since the day I bought it and I have gotten lots of useful info from all of you, but now I need your help. I have several mods as you can see from my list: AMP bed extender, Tri-fold bed cover, Mopar CAI, Mopar catback, Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech Molded Mudflaps, and Chrome Tubular Sidesteps. My biggest concern right now is an issue I'm having with my mopar catback. I love how it sounds when I get on the throttle, how it sounds at startup, and all that fun stuff. However, this weekend I went on my first trip since having the catback installed in which speeds we regularly at or above 70mph (roughly 2000rpm) and I noticed a severe drone in the cabin. Even when I was just cruising at a constant speed without accelerating it almost sounded as loud as if I was accelerating. This is my first exhaust system of this caliber and I'm not sure if this is normal but I felt like it was pretty bad. What are the solutions? I've been trying to look around and see what people have to say on the forum but it is hard to search through so many threads with other things being talked about in them. Here's what I've come across so far: use a mufflex drone suppression pipe, have the stock resonators put back on (I still have the original exhaust), turn of MDS for which I would need tuner and that would more than likely void my warranty. I want to keep that beautiful deep throaty sound because that was the whole point of the mod but lose the drone or at least reign it in because it was pretty bad. What is my best option here?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Sounds like you have a nice truck! sounds like you have the dreaded mds drone. Does it kick in and out when you give it gas? the mufflex suppression pipe is sure a nice product. My boss has a pontiac g8 GT with the 6.0 and he has shorty headers, high flow cats, solo exhaust with the suppression pipes. His car is really loud, sounds amazing and it is surprisingly has very low drone at highway speeds, and his car has the gm version of the mds. I think if you add the stock resonators back on it'll quiet it down a lot. you probably will have a deeper tone but the overall quieter. My buddy had a magnum R/T and we tossed on a pair of magnaflow xl mufflers and left the resonators on. The overall tone was more aggressive but the car wasn't any louder then stock. Although the magnaflows aren't know for being extremely loud.

ryss003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue with the catback. In my case i left the resonators on but i still got the drone at about 1800-2100 rpm. I searched the forum and i learned from someone to add a resonator and place it before the muffler. I did and the drone is gone. :) i agree with 14hemiexpress to try to put resonators back. If it doesnt cut the drone, try putting an additional resonator in front of the muffler. :) i hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Island-cowboy