AC not blowing cold unless over 60 MPH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 1500 with 5.7. All summer the AC has been under performing. I could expect some degration standing still, but didnt have this problem last year and seems to only be when in town or slow speeds. It just doesn't blow cold. kids in the back seat are uncomfortable, including wife and myself. When I am able to get up to innerstate speeds, it seems the AC starts to blow cold. Almost like the air flow is restricted, but today I even removed the cabin filter and drove around and still wasnt cooling until I hit 70MPH or better. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
That is a classic sign of the radiator/condenser fan not running.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is a classic sign of the radiator/condenser fan not running.

i'm getting something similar, but its' working when stopped, but it's not nearly as cold when it's driving down the road. Is this also potentially due to the fan?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
That is a classic sign of the radiator fan not running.
i'm getting something similar, but its' working when stopped, but it's not nearly as cold when it's driving down the road. Is this also potentially due to the fan?

It is always going to be a few degrees warmer sitting at idle even with the condenser fan running than driving. Most car AC temps run about 35 - 45'ish degrees Fahrenheit range with the higher end while at idle. That is assuming condenser fan is running, good charge and clean condenser fins to allow air to pass and wick heat away.

I will say this, when I traded my then Tundra for my then 2015 2500, I thought my RAM AC blew quite warmer than I was use to in my Tundra. I brought this up at delivery and a dealer tech came out and had a laser gun temp gauge to show me what was coming out of the outlets was about 41 degree Fahrenheit and just the cab in the RAM was bigger and took longer to cool on a hot summer day.

Last edited:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is always going to be a few degrees warmer sitting at idle even with the fan running that driving. Most car AC temps run about 35 - 45'ish degrees Fahrenheit range with the higher end while at idle. That is assuming condenser fan is running, good charge and clean condenser fins to allow air to pass and wick heat away.

I will say this, when I traded by then Tundra for my then 2015 2500, I thought my RAM AC blew quite warmer than I was use to in my Tundra. I brought this up at delivery and a dealer tech came out and had a laser gun temp gauge to show me what was coming out of the outlets was about 41 degree Fahrenheit and just the cab in the RAM was bigger and took longer to cool on a hot summer day.

Excellent, thanks for the good info.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is always going to be a few degrees warmer sitting at idle even with the condenser fan running than driving. Most car AC temps run about 35 - 45'ish degrees Fahrenheit range with the higher end while at idle. That is assuming condenser fan is running, good charge and clean condenser fins to allow air to pass and wick heat away.

I will say this, when I traded my then Tundra for my then 2015 2500, I thought my RAM AC blew quite warmer than I was use to in my Tundra. I brought this up at delivery and a dealer tech came out and had a laser gun temp gauge to show me what was coming out of the outlets was about 41 degree Fahrenheit and just the cab in the RAM was bigger and took longer to cool on a hot summer day.
Where is the condenser fan and fins located? Behind the dash? Anyway I can check to make sure the fan is running? I ordered a temp gun on Amazon for $20 yesterday hoping to have numbers to give to dealer before I call and take it in.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like mine. Once I pull into our driveway within 30 seconds the temp goes from ice cold to about room temp. The first summer we didn't have any complaints from kids not being cool.

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So air across the fins doesn't do anything? That is what I thought, that the more air flowing through the fins, the colder it will be. So being at slower speeds, the amount of air flow is not as much. But I am not a mechanic either.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Where is the condenser fan and fins located? Behind the dash? Anyway I can check to make sure the fan is running? I ordered a temp gun on Amazon for $20 yesterday hoping to have numbers to give to dealer before I call and take it in.

Will be up front near the radiator either in front or below it. It will look like a mini-radiator. I think the fan is an electric one on the 1500. With the AC turned on in the cab, the fan should be running.

The electric fan should be a simple two wire +/- DC circuit. If the fan is not running with the AC on, I would disconnect the electrical connector and check on the harness side for a 12VDC output. If it has 12VDC at the harness side, I would call the fan, if not, then there is something else in the circuit that needs further troubleshooting.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like mine. Once I pull into our driveway within 30 seconds the temp goes from ice cold to about room temp. The first summer we didn't have any complaints from kids not being cool.

Yup, mine too. Though, I know what caused mine, i just didn't really think much of it. I recently had the front of the truck under water, got a new engine and some other goodies replaced. Now, when sitting at a light, or sitting anywhere, the air coming out is certainly room temperature. im going to buy a thermometer today to see if I can determine the difference.

good thread, glad I saw it. I'll probably shoot over to the dealer.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, mine too. Though, I know what caused mine, i just didn't really think much of it. I recently had the front of the truck under water, got a new engine and some other goodies replaced. Now, when sitting at a light, or sitting anywhere, the air coming out is certainly room temperature. im going to buy a thermometer today to see if I can determine the difference.

good thread, glad I saw it. I'll probably shoot over to the dealer.

I called my RAM dealer, and on the 2016 there isn't a separate fan for the condenser. It uses the same electric fan that also cools the engine. So in theory, if it's the fan and not refrigerant, it should be obvious that the electric fan doesn't kick on at all. I haven't had any engine cooling problems...

Ram Driver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Litre Hemi
Sounds like the vents might not be changing to the proper position. If its cold going highway speeds then its probably not the compressor or something that serious. Work for a mechanic though.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the vents might not be changing to the proper position. If its cold going highway speeds then its probably not the compressor or something that serious. Work for a mechanic though.

I think it's the electric fan motor. I can look through the fan tunnel (I have both electric and clutch fan) and the fan tries to spin, makes about one revolution and then quits. I can imagine if I didn't have the clutch fan (or had I done the clutch fan delete mod) I'd have over heating problems. One valid reason not to rely on electric fan only when cooling an engine!!!

Anyone know how difficult to replace electric fan? I have the MOPAR Max Care with $100 deductible, but don't have luxury of time to wait 3 weeks for my appointment... I will if I have to though.

Ram Driver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Litre Hemi
Definitely a head scratcher. I assume your out of warranty or you would have already taken it to the dealer. Where I live you can't wait on AC issues at all cause its 115 degree heat index. Will be curious to see what remedies the issue!

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely a head scratcher. I assume your out of warranty or you would have already taken it to the dealer. Where I live you can't wait on AC issues at all cause its 115 degree heat index. Will be curious to see what remedies the issue!
Frustrating part is I'm just outside of warranty, 37K and change... however I initially called back in May/June while under the warranty explained intermittent AC problems and was discouraged when they said I'd be out a diagnostic fee when the AC was partially working fine (when operating at higher speeds). It didn't dawn on me until yesterday the air flow cause/effect, which lead me to further trouble shoot it and found the electric fan motor isn't coming on. I'm glad it will only be $100 max though, instead of paying hundreds.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I called my RAM dealer, and on the 2016 there isn't a separate fan for the condenser. It uses the same electric fan that also cools the engine. So in theory, if it's the fan and not refrigerant, it should be obvious that the electric fan doesn't kick on at all. I haven't had any engine cooling problems...

Nice information, thanks. I'll just wait until the truck is blowing room temp air and pop the hood :p

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update - I called dealer hoping to have this covered under bumper to bumper who referred me to call MOPAR Customer Service in back of owners manual, and was told since I'm just outside of the 36K threshold, they don't have the ability to offer a "grace" repair under bumper to bumper warranty because when you have an extended service contract (MOPAR Max Care) it automatically falls under the contract I've signed, and up to the contract holder "MVP" to give any "grace" or reimbursement of $100 deductible I'll be out.

I don't have any record of who I talked to at the dealership back in May/June, but they gave me incorrect information. I was told the cooling system would only be covered under 12 month 12K miles... which I was out of that time frame anyway, so they told me it would be a diagnostic fee at the minimum. Considering the AC system seemed to work intermittently I just said we'd wait until it fully went out and would know for sure what the cause was, knowing my Max Care would kick in and would be out $100 max anyway. So after delaying until yesterday and finding what I've found that my problem isn't actually a cooling AC system issue but in fact an electric fan issue... and now finding out I was mis-informed by the dealer and AC system would have fallen under 36K warranty... and had I known that I would have definitely brought it in to the dealer... it should/would have been covered under bumper-to-bumper warranty. But I didn't bring it in, so I don't have a ticket or leg to stand on really.

In the end, glad I have the Max Care this falls under, and even thought it might seem trivial, I still don't think I should have to cover the $100 deductible... considering the dealer gave me bad information regarding AC system only covered under 12 month/12K warranty... because had I known the AC was under the 36K warranty, I would have brought it in.

RAMCARES, can you help me?

Ram Driver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Litre Hemi
Frustrating part is I'm just outside of warranty, 37K and change... however I initially called back in May/June while under the warranty explained intermittent AC problems and was discouraged when they said I'd be out a diagnostic fee when the AC was partially working fine (when operating at higher speeds). It didn't dawn on me until yesterday the air flow cause/effect, which lead me to further trouble shoot it and found the electric fan motor isn't coming on. I'm glad it will only be $100 max though, instead of paying hundreds.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The R1234 AC in our cars just suck!
I swear my 2014 was nice and cool last year. This year its so bad I took it in.
Dealer found nothing.
I've asked Ram and Challenger owners. They all dislike their AC.

I can't believe Chrysler put cars with such crappy AC.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The R1234 AC in our cars just suck!
I swear my 2014 was nice and cool last year. This year its so bad I took it in.
Dealer found nothing.
I've asked Ram and Challenger owners. They all dislike their AC.

I can't believe Chrysler put cars with such crappy AC.

In my case, it's not the AC system, it's a fan issue. But I know what you mean. I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 bought brand new, and never had anything done to the AC and it will freeze you out!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981