Adding amp/sub to stock infinty system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2008 QC with the stock 7 speaker infinity system. For now all I want to do it put in a jl 250/1 and a jl12w3v2 in a single 12" fox box. My questions is how should I hook the amp up to get signal. Should I hook it up to one of the front speakers via a line out converter? Also, if I do this and turn down my bass level to take away bass from my 6x9's in the doors will this also reduce bass going to the sub?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
do you have a factory sub? I have the 10 speaker alpine setup and I'm swapping out my factory 8" sub with a single 12" fox box also and I'm tapping off the wires for the sub to a line level converter for the JL 500/1 amp I have.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 2008 QC with the stock 7 speaker infinity system. For now all I want to do it put in a jl 250/1 and a jl12w3v2 in a single 12" fox box. My questions is how should I hook the amp up to get signal. Should I hook it up to one of the front speakers via a line out converter? Also, if I do this and turn down my bass level to take away bass from my 6x9's in the doors will this also reduce bass going to the sub?

You just need to use a test light to figure out what wire is getting powered when radio is turned on for remote wire or spot labeled REM on amp

Hook up + on sub to + on amp and - on sub to - on amp I would bridge them so they pound harder by connecting far left + and far right - (then do not use the middle two) these could be mirrored but you should get the idea

it will look like below depending on how many channels your amp has

+ - + -

then find what wires are L and R in factory plug and hook up a line converter that will make the wires into RCA. Hook those into left and right on the amp RCA's labeled in

Then of course run a positive lead wire from the battery and ground the amp somewhere under the seat

BOOM amped up

I have no idea what level you are in this so I hope this clear enough without sounding like I was dumbing it down just trying to make it easy

I will try and figure out what color wires are what on your year and get back to you. I am not sure if mine is the same as I have '09

OP
OP
T

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have installed systems before so power, ground and remote wires are not a problem. however, normally i do a full isntall with a new head unit and I just run everything off that to the amps that I would be using. this time im keeping it simple for now and just adding a sub/amp to the factory setup. No, I do not have a factory subwoofer in my truck.my question mainly is around what wires are the best to tap into that would feed the signal to my bass amplifier. I will use a line out converter or simly splice RCA's to give signal to my amp. I just need to know where is the best place to get the signal on the factoy 7 speaker infinity set up.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Def. splice into the front speaker wires.

OP
OP
T

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, that is what I was thinking since most of the bass goes to those 6X9's from the stock infinity amplifier. Now, if I turn down the bass on the head unit will this also reduce the bass that will be coming out of my subwoofer since the bass amp is feeding off of those front speakers for the signal?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i had a loc in my 05 and i had to turn the bass down to negative numbers or it was too much

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have always spliced into rear speakers not front personally but I guess it was in SUV's and car's not a pickup. You want to be using it in the positives and not the negatives IMO. Also, I would wire a switch that turns the remote off and on so if you have kids in back or the wife with she won't complain.

I like factory decks so I have done LOC in a 94 LHS, 96 GC, 2000 A4, 2002 Durango, 2005 Durango. All sounded great and never had to turn down bass to make it sound nice and clean. All had Infinity except Audi which was Bose. If I am not mistaken I was essentially pre amping the signal because of stock amp and then sending that into subs amp. I would install a capacitor as well if you don't want interior lights to flicker when bass hits hard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, it sounds like tapping into the front speakers will be the best with a LOC. Good idea on placing a switch inline with the remote signal, didnt really think of that but its something simple to do. I wont need a cap bc its only going to be 250 rms that will be running. im not a big fan of capacitors anyway, if the system needs more power then ill just get a bigger battert or higher amp alternator, but all of that won't be necessary with this small system upgrade. Thanks for all of the inputs.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Crutchfield says to splice into rear speakers all over the forums for 2 channel and then all speakers for 4 channel.

"For the second part, you would have to have a 4-channel LOC (that's really important, but I assumed you did since you were asking if you only had to splice into the rear speakers). You would splice the 4-channel LOC into the LF, RF, LR and RR speakers and then use RCA splitters to combine the LF and LR and the RF and RR outputs to a single RCA cable to the subwoofer amp."

Also if you use a 2 channel LOC you will lose Fader control FYI