upgrade to sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebel_yves

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but my searches have come up empty.

I have an 2018 rebel with the stock base uconnect system.

My buddy is parting out a 2011 ram that has the upgraded alpine sound system and i'm welcomed to go take what I need. I'm wondering if it's possible to switch out my sound system for the alpine sound system and what I would need to do so? Also wondering if it's even worth it? The parts truck has everything there therefore I'm assuming this could potentially be a free upgrade for me. I know aftermarket systems are better although for the price I'm wondering if this would be worth the effort an if anybody could tell me which components I would need from the parts truck? Also would this be plug and play or would some programing be needed?

Thank you

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The biggest issue is going to be what wiring and connectors are installed in your truck. There's a good chance that most of the wiring is there, but the connectors for the Amplifier probably aren't - so you'd need to pull those and the associated wiring. To upgrade fully, you'd also need to pull his steering wheel, head unit, amp, and the speakers for the Left/Right/Center dash and the headliner, and the subwoofer, at a minimum. I believe there's also reprogramming of the BCM to recognize the system radio upgrade. The standard connectors that are in your 2018 might not be compatible with the older system. You'd need to pull the dash, the door panels, the floor carpeting, the instrument cluster, and the headliner to do it right. Overall, (and this is my opinion) it's not worth the effort - a custom system that doesn't rely on factory connectors and wiring is the better way to go, and you can get better quality components, amplifier, etc. - the down side is that it will cost you a bit of $$$. If you're skilled with wiring, you could take your buddies system and try to get it installed, but it'll take a lot of effort, cuts, and pain that just probably isn't worth the hassle for a limited amount of stereo system improvement.

Nico70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The complications you could possibly face if anything goes wrong will drive you up a wall.. definitely go aftermarket.

nsBoost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i6
OEM alpine aint even "good".

A good DSP... amp... some budget minded components.. and it will flat make that alpine sound like dooo doo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517