adding coils spacers/shackles to a body lift/coil suspension combo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goldy49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Gathering thoughts and suggestions on idea of ADDING front coil spacers and shackles or add a leaf to my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD. It currently has Rough Country 3 inch body lift and a Max Trac 7 inch coil suspension lift. I want to make it 12 inches of total lift instead of the current 10 inches that I am at now. I am currently running Radar AT 5 (35x12.5x20). When these tires are done looking to do 38x13.5x20 or 40x13.5x20. Its a daily driver and really do not tow or work out of so redoing rear end (3.92) is not an option now but maybe later. I am sitting at 46 inches from ground to middle of fender. Would like to get to 50 inches from ground to middle of fender.

See some posts from other 2WD owners (pavement pounders) that went this route of adding 2 inch coil spacers (I suppose shock absorber extenders also) and 2 inch shackles (or add a leaf I guess) This got me thinking.

Do I need to consider dropping the drive shaft? Is shackles better than adding a leaf and if so why?
It rides great now since I added the sway bar blocks (from 4x4 store) to eliminate breaking of the sway bar links. Alignment is all in range.

For those who are not familiarized with Max Trac lifts it provides you a lower dropped spindles to help with the angles instead of the bolt on brackets that RC has. Been very very pleased with Max Trac. Gap guards have worked great with the body lift.

Suggestions are always welcomed. Thanks

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Can you post pics of your set up I have a 2002 2wd with maxtrac 7 and I added new leafs in rear I had to change my driveshaft it was to short and I had a lot of vibrations. I don’t see a problem with you adding shackles in the rear and spacer in the front for more lift I was actually going to do the same but I had already gotten a new driveshaft so I didn’t bother with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
goldy49

goldy49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
did it effect your upper control arms? just replaced with MOOG upgrade upper control arms that is supposedly better for lifted trucks. Did the coil spacer go on bottom of shock and lower control arm?

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I have the maxtrac so I have 4 spindle and 3.5 coil spring no coil spacer but if you want you can get away with one or two inch spacer def not 3. In my rear I have blocks

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I love the way it looks with your body lift I might look into doing that for some extra height