Adjust Exhaust Tip Forward From Under Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidnightSVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hi All,

I recently installed some B2 Fabrication 5” tips on my Ram 1500 Classic. The tips are great, made of high-quality materials and the craftsmanship is top notch. After the removing the stock tips and installing the B2 tips, I noticed that the driver side tip sits back about ¼” more (under the bumper) than the passenger side. This was probably the case with the stock tips, but it is now more noticeable with the larger tips.

A side note – My Ram was rear ended this past July and 95% of the impact was on the driver side rear bumper. So, I have a feeling that the exhaust on the driver side is off from that.

Is there any way to bend the muffler hangers forward? That seems to be the most obvious place to try and get some forward adjustment. But maybe there is another way to adjust the tip more forward? I have tried crawling under the truck with a crowbar, but I can’t seem to get enough leverage on the steel hanger to move it at all.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the bracket is not the issue. look for a kink in the exhaust pipe. years ago worked at a body shop, found kink in pipe after slight rear end. wrapped a chain around inlet side of muffler and gave a gentle pull, straightened everything right out.

OP
OP
M

MidnightSVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
the bracket is not the issue. look for a kink in the exhaust pipe. years ago worked at a body shop, found kink in pipe after slight rear end. wrapped a chain around inlet side of muffler and gave a gentle pull, straightened everything right out.
Thanks!! I'll check the pipe and see if I can find any kinks / bends anywhere.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Also measure your gaps bumper to bed left & right.
They should match, especially after being repaired on left side only. Check brackets for equal length too.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Silly question, how are the tips attached? Are they adjustable at all?

Tpearson515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi All,

I recently installed some B2 Fabrication 5” tips on my Ram 1500 Classic. The tips are great, made of high-quality materials and the craftsmanship is top notch. After the removing the stock tips and installing the B2 tips, I noticed that the driver side tip sits back about ¼” more (under the bumper) than the passenger side. This was probably the case with the stock tips, but it is now more noticeable with the larger tips.

A side note – My Ram was rear ended this past July and 95% of the impact was on the driver side rear bumper. So, I have a feeling that the exhaust on the driver side is off from that.

Is there any way to bend the muffler hangers forward? That seems to be the most obvious place to try and get some forward adjustment. But maybe there is another way to adjust the tip more forward? I have tried crawling under the truck with a crowbar, but I can’t seem to get enough leverage on the steel hanger to move it at all.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

View attachment 237976

View attachment 237977

View attachment 237978
Another thing to check is where the duals are connected to the muffler outlet pipe there is a notch to how far the pipe is inserted you should be able to feel for it or see it with your phone if one isn't inserted all the way you can also see it there and will have it stick out further

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
X2 on checking that tail to muffler connection for proper alignment. Also, the factory tips do have some adjustment fwd and backwards but I’m not sure about the ones you’ve installed.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
How was the bumper repaired? Did they put a new bumper bracket on? When I backed into a tree in a parking lot a year ago it pushed the driver side of the bumper in (bent the bracket) and compared to the bed it was crooked. I just shimmed the bracket out and made it even. Maybe your tips are even but your bumper is crooked?

OP
OP
M

MidnightSVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hi All,
Thanks for the help!! The bumper was fully replaced by the other drivers insurance company and was installed by a local shop. I will double check the measurements on the bumper gaps, but by my "eye" test, they seem pretty even for both sides. The new B2 tips install the same way as the stock tips, stock clamp is reused. When installing the new tips, I pushed both back as far they would go onto the muffler pipe exit (where the stock tips attached). I am afraid that if I try and move the passenger side tip forward, off of the joint, there will be a leak as the connection won't be flush.

There must be something slightly bent on the drivers side so I need to check it out a little further.

OP
OP
M

MidnightSVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Also, the B2 Exhaust tips are installed the exact same way as the Carven tips. I went with B2 because they were cheaper but the same materials and craftsmanship as the Carven.

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
I believe you should be able to loosen the pipe where it connects to the muffler, wiggle it back until they match then re tighten. I had to do this with my Carven when I installed it. They were of a tad off and this fixed it.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The muffler referred to is the main one near the middle of the truck not the resonators near the exhaust tips.

OP
OP
M

MidnightSVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The muffler referred to is the main one near the middle of the truck not the resonators near the exhaust tips.
Thanks for that calcification. I was looking at the resonators and NOT the muffler!!!

OP
OP
M

MidnightSVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I believe you should be able to loosen the pipe where it connects to the muffler, wiggle it back until they match then re tighten. I had to do this with my Carven when I installed it. They were of a tad off and this fixed it.
Thanks!! I am gonna check this out this weekend. Make sure the passenger side is seated all the way back. It felt like it was on the initial install, but I very well could have missed it.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hi All,
Thanks for the help!! The bumper was fully replaced by the other drivers insurance company and was installed by a local shop. I will double check the measurements on the bumper gaps, but by my "eye" test, they seem pretty even for both sides. The new B2 tips install the same way as the stock tips, stock clamp is reused. When installing the new tips, I pushed both back as far they would go onto the muffler pipe exit (where the stock tips attached). I am afraid that if I try and move the passenger side tip forward, off of the joint, there will be a leak as the connection won't be flush.

There must be something slightly bent on the drivers side so I need to check it out a little further.
Adjust the tips forward. The seal of an exhaust tip isn’t usually air tight, they’re just for looks. Moving the one tip forward should fix the issue.

OP
OP
M

MidnightSVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It's definitely something with the driver side exhaust pipe, not the tips or the way they are adjusted. I tried reseating the passenger tip and it is as far back as it goes. The Driver side tip, moving it as far forward as I can, with them being secure enough not to move, only got maybe an 1/8". I even swapped the tips to see if maybe they were slightly different lengths but they are exact the same length. I'll keep digging.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Measure the distance from the exhaust pipe bell (where the tips attach) to the bottom bumper edge.
If they're off the tips aren't the problem, the bumper repair is.

ctrevino8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro Blue Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this same problem with my 5" tips when I installed my carven muffler. I ended up loosening the clamps where the tailpipes slide into the muffler. I had to cut about an inch off one tailpipe so it would slide in further, and wiggled the other out a little to even them up. There is also a metal nipple the top of each tailpipe that I cut off to allow for more forward adjustability. Took a little work, but I was able to get them even.