Adventures in Towing with 4-ply Tires - Need recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pickles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey kids -

So picked up my TT yesterday - 6050lbs dry, 31' Cruiser Viewfinder Signature. LOVE the trailer. Airbag setup worked perfectly set at 30psi - no sag at all once the wd hitch was dialed in. ITBC also worked flawlessly set at 7.0 light electric.

That said, the 30 miles home was the most terrifying drive I've ever had. My ass end bounced like you wouldn't believe. I figure there's 3 possible issues -
1) wd hitch not setup properly - I find this unlikely, the guy who helped me set it really knows his stuff (although admittedly we did not check weights). I can't see it was out THAT much, even if it's not totally dialed in.
2) Stock tires are just too "squishy" for the load
3) Stock shocks not strong enough for additional force while towing

So I'm looking into getting a set of bilsteins all around, but also am looking to upgrade tires (which my wife is SO happy about, having only 5000 miles on the stocks).

A few questions -
1) What is the real world difference between D and E load ratings while towing this type of load? Will I notice the extra 2-ply of the E?
2) Can a stock height '15 1500 Express, 2wd take a 275/65/20 tire without rubbing?
3) Any tire recommendations? I keep seeing BFG TA KO2's pop up, but I don't know what else might be out there. I do 95% of my driving unloaded commuting, but the towing I will be doing will be hundreds of miles one way, so I'm willing to go with a better towing tire and perhaps lose some mpg and comfort on the commute side.

Thanks all!

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Towing an empty TT is akin to running with a balloon: it goes where the wind blows. Had the same experience with my 33' until it was loaded and balanced. Also running a stock 1500 CC 2wd save the Airlifts. Ever since balancing we've had no issues over the last 8k at highway speeds 60-65 ('Merican). The plan is to get Michelin AT2's, mainly for the 60k guarantee, but I wouldn't hesitate to keep the stock shoes if I had to. Tune yer rig before you pull the trigger on rubber and suspension. Unless you have the disposable income. In which case you no longer have my sympathies. You lucky *******. Happy hauling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Pickles

Pickles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah - we do ok, and so I got jumpy before a little trip we're taking tomorrow and I picked up a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's in 275/65-20.

BTW - I have a set of stock Dueler's with only 5500 miles on them if anyone in NorCal is interested :)

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Tighten up the sway bar, Load out yoru trailer as you would for yoru trips. check your trailer tongue weight, when loaded out and make sure it is within acceptable toerlances,. I prefer 7-15% of total weight fo tongue weight, no more., no less.

Get a set of Load Range E tires. I prefer Michelin M/S but those at2 mentioned by another are great too.

Not a fan of the either tire you mentioned, but the Coppers are much better than what you had. Cheap too, so there is that.

Jump on a dedicated trailer towing site and get input, though most of us, here, belong to a ton of them as well. SO your repsonses will probably be pretty close,

luck
Dave

Ramaniac

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500, Laramie
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
What he ^^^^ said. Tounge wt. muy importanto on TT's. Keeps the tail from wagging the dog.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm no 'Tow Expert' by any definition. (Sporadic ~light~ towing, with light trailer/tongue weight but truck itself loaded near limit) IMHO, the stock shocks can get a bit over-worked/overwhelmed. (Porpoising)

OP
OP
Pickles

Pickles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks all.

Yeah, the next purchase is a set of bilstein 5100's all the way around - but Moe's site shows them on backorder until September?! No me gusta.

We've started packing the trailer, but since this is trailer #1 for us, it's sort of a process - we've been spending cash hand over fist to get this thing going, but I think we're well on our way.

And after our very short initial trip tonight I plan on trying to really dial in the hitch and then take it to the closest scale to see what's what. Although now that I've done some looking I do think the guy at the trailer shop may have set me up with too much wd - making the ass end of the trailer a little "happy". I'll do more work on it tonight after work, and then get it over to the scales.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you have the room to store them you could have a set of tires for towing and another set of tires for when you aren't towing. Kind of like winter and summer tires.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since your rich get these shocks. They will blow the Billy's out of the water ;)

26e7a948b6ee7120f6cd9b7be6d8fea9.jpg

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The scales will tell you more than anything. Which WD did they set you up with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey kids -

So picked up my TT yesterday - 6050lbs dry, 31' Cruiser Viewfinder Signature. LOVE the trailer. Airbag setup worked perfectly set at 30psi - no sag at all once the wd hitch was dialed in. ITBC also worked flawlessly set at 7.0 light electric.

That said, the 30 miles home was the most terrifying drive I've ever had. My ass end bounced like you wouldn't believe. I figure there's 3 possible issues -
1) wd hitch not setup properly - I find this unlikely, the guy who helped me set it really knows his stuff (although admittedly we did not check weights). I can't see it was out THAT much, even if it's not totally dialed in.
2) Stock tires are just too "squishy" for the load
3) Stock shocks not strong enough for additional force while towing

So I'm looking into getting a set of bilsteins all around, but also am looking to upgrade tires (which my wife is SO happy about, having only 5000 miles on the stocks).

A few questions -
1) What is the real world difference between D and E load ratings while towing this type of load? Will I notice the extra 2-ply of the E?
2) Can a stock height '15 1500 Express, 2wd take a 275/65/20 tire without rubbing?
3) Any tire recommendations? I keep seeing BFG TA KO2's pop up, but I don't know what else might be out there. I do 95% of my driving unloaded commuting, but the towing I will be doing will be hundreds of miles one way, so I'm willing to go with a better towing tire and perhaps lose some mpg and comfort on the commute side.

Thanks all!

You're pulling a 31' trailer with a half ton pickup. You're not towing it, you're guiding it. If you really want to pull something that large, you need a 2500.

I have a buddy that is a regional sales manager for a trailer manufacturer. He says the single biggest problem he sees is trucks dealers telling people they can tow large trailers with half tons. They just arent made to do so. You have about a 9500lb load capacity. Now, add up your passenger weight, fuel weight, plus the weight of all the stuff you toss in the bed. now figure out the weight of a fully loaded trailer and what the actual tongue weight comes out to which is around 15% of the GVRW when empty. Chances are you're WAY over.

OP
OP
Pickles

Pickles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You're pulling a 31' trailer with a half ton pickup. You're not towing it, you're guiding it. If you really want to pull something that large, you need a 2500.

I have a buddy that is a regional sales manager for a trailer manufacturer. He says the single biggest problem he sees is trucks dealers telling people they can tow large trailers with half tons. They just arent made to do so. You have about a 9500lb load capacity. Now, add up your passenger weight, fuel weight, plus the weight of all the stuff you toss in the bed. now figure out the weight of a fully loaded trailer and what the actual tongue weight comes out to which is around 15% of the GVRW when empty. Chances are you're WAY over.

Truck weight includes a full tank of fuel and either 150 or 300lb of human flesh (can't remember which right now), and the only stuff in my bed is a set of jumper cables. Even loaded in the trailer (we wet camp, so very little tanked water), we should be at least 1000lbs gross combined and towing capacities, and both axles are under as well. I also can't imagine any scenario where we fully load the trailer with it's own cargo max of about 1800 lbs AND load the bed full, etc. We are neither full-timing, nor are we dry-camping for a week plus at any point.

That all said - this is my first trailer personally, but I've hauled enough at old jobs that I know what things should feel like. I've got experience towing from 100lbs in the bed to a 4500 series towing a backhoe, and I know how those extremes feel - this was simply not right. The amount of play in my ass end was not what ANY "hooked up" trailer should feel like.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Big eye roll to the "you can't tow anything with anything less than a 2500HD"

I'd get a better WD/Anti-sway setup and get that dialed in. Makes all the difference in the road. I've got 275/65/20's too. Keep the fronts at 50psi and the back at 55psi. Feels great to me.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Big eye roll to the "you can't tow anything with anything less than a 2500HD"

I'd get a better WD/Anti-sway setup and get that dialed in. Makes all the difference in the road. I've got 275/65/20's too. Keep the fronts at 50psi and the back at 55psi. Feels great to me.

I used to be in that crowd until I got my 2500. For the stability it provides when towing it is amazing. Now I'm not saying everyone needs one, but if you are towing 9k plus or anything bigger than 27' or so I would definitely recommend stepping up to a 2500. The new 1500's have all the power to tow over 10k but not the chassis to do it in my opinion.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Stability is in setup. Not size of vehicle. I'm sure your confident in the 2500HD.

14226024774_9090b7baf9_z-540x360.jpg

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
if you level the front will the Bils you better get some air bags to keep you from being nose high when you hitch up.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I'd still double check the WD setup. Bars too tight will cause you to feel every movement of the trailer through your truck.