Advice for my first Ram Truck - a used one - which years/models to avoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flounce

Reaction score
Ram Year
not yet
Engine
not yet
Hi,

I've decided that I want to buy a truck (mainly for fun, it's a city car/daily commuter, no pulling or offroad, just using the bed to transport junk occasionally).

I want to spend under $20,000.

Needs to seat 6 people.

Silver Colored.

Preferably chrome bumper.

Want something as reliable as possible.

Back-up camera (maybe that can be installed aftermarket).

That's all.
---

Are there certain years or models or engines or features I should avoid?

Please advise, thank you.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some say to avoid the first model year of any new vehicle, but here I am in my '09. Some will say to stay away from the 5/6sp trans, but for your stated usage I don't see it as much of an issue.

I can't think of any 4th Gen Ram to avoid, but if you're looking to fit 6 people, you'll want a crew cab and no center console so avoid the "high end" models like the Laramie and Limited, and possibly the Big Horn. Since you're looking for the chrome bumpers, I'd suggest the SLT models. However, on the lower end models, you'll probably have to install your own back up cam.

For your kind of use, the 3.6 V6 (from 2013 on) would probably be the best bet - more economical for daily driving.

Silver...well, if you have to. No accounting for taste.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
8 speed trans would be a good plus

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DITTO on what WAHRSUUL said, and the 8 speed tranny would be nice.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe you can get a Bighorn without the center console.

Most people would recommend the 3.92 gears but I personally preferred the 3.21 because I drive a lot of highway miles. Kind of nice to be turning 1200 RPMs at 75 mph. This is with the 5.7 Hemi engine. I don't have any experience with the 6-cylinder.

I currently have the 3.92 so I have experience with both. No real need for 3.92 if you're not doing off-roading, heavy towing, or drag racing.

Good luck and post some pictures after you find your new vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, OP, there are LOTS of desirable things as well as lots of items to avoid...just depends on what you can get in your area.

For example, I like that my '16 Reb doesn't have active grill shutters but in the rest of the lineup, they all do, so the trick is to stick to previous years if you want avoid any issues with 'em. The 8HP70 eight-speed tranny is incredible and when combined with the 5.7 Hemi, the 1500 is pretty awesome.

To me, quad cab models just visually don't work and they're torture for full-sized adults over long distances...you'll appreciate the space of a CC.

No need for 4X4 in your case, obviously, and, of course, get the lowest-mileage example you can find (preferably with service records) as Hemis can be persnickety about their oil and how frequently it was changed.

Rear gears can be important; I've got 3.92s on my Reb (and LSD) and that sucker moves when asked! If acceleration isn't that important, then don't worry about...there are plenty of satisfied guys here running 3.21s with open diffs.

Like many here, you can always add things to your rig after you purchase it, but my suggestion is to hold out for a Ram with the options you want...no matter what you add, you still can't make a Laramie out of an Express! Now if you enjoy tinkering in the garage, go for it, but I have better things to do with my time, like drive!

TXCOMT

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
14 and newer will get you the 8-speed trans and 100,000 mile plugs with the Hemi. Both are significant differences. Check sites like cargurus for ones available in your area. They can be searched by price as one option.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Sounds like your looking for a “tradesman slt”

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

OP
OP
F

Flounce

Reaction score
Ram Year
not yet
Engine
not yet
Thanks, everyone. Lots of advice there.

Maybe I'll look into a 2014 (or newer) Tradesman SLT Crew Cab with the V8 and maybe 3.92 gears, lowish miles, and some maintenance records.

Can I tell from a VIN or Carfax that it has 3.92 gears? How do I tell from an advertisement?

tbone63

Fast & Furious ish
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have a Laramie Crew with no center console, seats 6. That's rare?
And the back seat is huge...

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks, everyone. Lots of advice there.

Maybe I'll look into a 2014 (or newer) Tradesman SLT Crew Cab with the V8 and maybe 3.92 gears, lowish miles, and some maintenance records.

Can I tell from a VIN or Carfax that it has 3.92 gears? How do I tell from an advertisement?

You can by looking the vin up on the web. I forgot the exact website but you can get the complete build sheet breakdown. By the vin #. It’s free too.

BTW 3.92’s are found mainly on 4x4 models

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a Laramie Crew with no center console, seats 6. That's rare?
And the back seat is huge...
yeah, it is. Pretty sure a lot of the Laramie trim revolves around the center stack and center console, but that might just apply towards the Longhorn. Tried to look on the configurator but thats set up for 2019s now and only has trim packages up to Bighorn atm.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yeah, it is. Pretty sure a lot of the Laramie trim revolves around the center stack and center console, but that might just apply towards the Longhorn. Tried to look on the configurator but thats set up for 2019s now and only has trim packages up to Bighorn atm.

That is rare. Make sure you pull a build sheet and make sure it is a Laramie.

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is rare. Make sure you pull a build sheet and make sure it is a Laramie.
My ‘18 Laramie is a crew cab with the bench front seat and a 6’4” bed. Every time I put my VIN in somewhere (websites, etc) it says “Laramie 1500, Limited Availability”. It was a originally a rental fleet vehicle, so I’m guessing they only made a select few of them configured like mine for Enterprise and other rental companies.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My ‘18 Laramie is a crew cab with the bench front seat and a 6’4” bed. Every time I put my VIN in somewhere (websites, etc) it says “Laramie 1500, Limited Availability”. It was a originally a rental fleet vehicle, so I’m guessing they only made a select few of them configured like mine for Enterprise and other rental companies.

Used vehicles from Enterprise seem to be great deals.

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Used vehicles from Enterprise seem to be great deals.
I was pleasantly surprised. $32,500. It had a little under 12k miles on it and no signs of interior or exterior abuse. I’m sure it was driven pretty hard by a person or three, but I haven’t had the first hint of a problem after driving nearly 5,500 miles since getting it in July (knock on wood!) I had the 2-1 clunk at stops for a while, but that went away after about 3,500 miles. I assume they reset the computer and it learned my 40y/o old man driving habits. Hopefully It stays trouble free, but if not, I’m still under factory warranty and have the lifetime maxcare.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Paid around $23k in June for mine - It's a 2017 SLT QuadCab, seats 6 if I lift the center jumpseat.

It's a 6-banger with 3.21 gears -- about as low as you can go, powertrain-wise -- but I actually do pretty decent with light towing (4.3k lbs max), fuel mileage is astounding, and I enjoy the hell out of it. It holds up very well for what I do with it.

Fairly certain that you'll find similar for around $24k or so, depending on where you live.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I was pleasantly surprised. $32,500. It had a little under 12k miles on it and no signs of interior or exterior abuse. I’m sure it was driven pretty hard by a person or three, but I haven’t had the first hint of a problem after driving nearly 5,500 miles since getting it in July (knock on wood!) I had the 2-1 clunk at stops for a while, but that went away after about 3,500 miles. I assume they reset the computer and it learned my 40y/o old man driving habits. Hopefully It stays trouble free, but if not, I’m still under factory warranty and have the lifetime maxcare.

I can triple-confirm that... mine was an Enterprise truck; bought it at 19k in June, the odo just passed 25k this week. Had exactly one issue - active grille shutters, which were covered under warranty, costing me $0.00.

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can triple-confirm that... mine was an Enterprise truck; bought it at 19k in June, the odo just passed 25k this week. Had exactly one issue - active grille shutters, which were covered under warranty, costing me $0.00.
Nice!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963