AEV snorkel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammer757

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I spoke with AEV. They said lifting and installing larger tires can effectively increase the water depth that the truck can traverse. However, they did stress that the depth is for slowly crossing the deep water. The new depth rating is factory specs or factory number + lift increase + half a tire size increase will give you the new depth limit. However, if going deeper the snorkel will provide plenty of dry fresh air for the engine but other things like electronics, axles, transmission, etc will need to be protected from water for deeper than recommended water crossings.

In dry or dusty areas like the Southwest, dust is actually a bigger hazard to your air intake than water or at the very least a more persistent issue. Dusty conditions can wreak havoc on your air filter, choking your engine and reducing performance. This is why the Snorkel has an optional Pre-Filter. Pre-Filter’s are commonly used on military and heavy equipment, and AEV’s Snorkel now offers you the same protection. They function much like a cyclonic vacuum cleaner, spinning the majority of dust and debris out of the air before it ever hits your air filter.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My snorkel arrives this weekend. One thing I’m super torn on: the antenna. I’m all for just leaving the factory antenna double sided taped to the back of the fender. I almost never listen to FM radio, and I think it would be cleaner without it. Is there enough room to stick it to the side of the top metal bar in the pic above? Would it interfere in any way with the fitment of the snorkel, or the reinstallation of the fender? I can always go back later and drill the antenna back into the fender if I really wanted to, I just prefer the cleaner look without it if possible.

OP
OP
Buttyman

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My snorkel arrives this weekend. One thing I’m super torn on: the antenna. I’m all for just leaving the factory antenna double sided taped to the back of the fender. I almost never listen to FM radio, and I think it would be cleaner without it. Is there enough room to stick it to the side of the top metal bar in the pic above? Would it interfere in any way with the fitment of the snorkel, or the reinstallation of the fender? I can always go back later and drill the antenna back into the fender if I really wanted to, I just prefer the cleaner look without it if possible.

I considered the same thing for the antenna. But, after cutting that big ******** in the fender I figured one more for the antenna wouldn't matter. I do use the radio. One thing is that the antenna gets dropped a bit from from the stock height with the snorkel addition so the little plastic trim piece doesn't fit perfectly. Another reason, perhaps, to not go with the antenna.

Oilbrnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Sy-Klone 9005 (5" inlet) that AEV sells is the wrong size for a 392 cu.in engine. For that matter it is the wrong size for the Cummins 6.7. Its typical application is for a D6 dozer.

9001R (4") with 901K2 5" to 4" reducer is needed.

I will not buy another AEV product after dealing with their support over this issue.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Sy-Klone 9005 (5" inlet) that AEV sells is the wrong size for a 392 cu.in engine. For that matter it is the wrong size for the Cummins 6.7. Its typical application is for a D6 dozer.

9001R (4") with 901K2 5" to 4" reducer is needed.

I will not buy another AEV product after dealing with their support over this issue.

When you say wrong size, what exactly is wrong? Too big? Too small? And what is the apparent issue it causes? I mean there must be a zillion of them out there in use...and Ive never heard of any issue. And, I would have to assume AEV did their due diligence as dar as appropriately sizing it...but you never know I guess.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
When you say wrong size, what exactly is wrong? Too big? Too small? And what is the apparent issue it causes? I mean there must be a zillion of them out there in use...and Ive never heard of any issue. And, I would have to assume AEV did their due diligence as dar as appropriately sizing it...but you never know I guess.
According to his post, he’s saying it’s too big. I’m also curious to hear how too large of a filter is an issue. Not arguing, genuinely curious to learn.

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what happens at the automatic car wash with one of these snorkels? Or are ou pretty much gonna need to be on hand wash thereafter?

Oilbrnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a centrifugally airflow driven impeller designed for certain CFM specs. When I spoke with the guys at Sy-Klone on two occasions last year, they said that the 9005 needed more CFM than our engines would consistently draw off-road, or really anything not approaching redline.

I got curious after about a year of ownership and wonder if the pre-filter really did anything at all other than act as a rain cap. Between 2-3k the impeller is not turning anywhere close to the velocity that would be needed to shed particulates out of the designed exit cut in the housing.

AEV support said nope, their engineering came back and said that the 9005 was the right one and that was that. My .02 on that, AEV marketing didn't think a 4" pipe and prefilter looked aggressive/massive enough for one of their SEMA Cummins builds.

As to the OP's original question, too late now I guess, this is the second truck I've had a dorkel on. Not real sure I'd do it again. With my 80 Series Lexus, they do *maybe* help a bit with lowering IAT and thereby allowing timing to remain a bit higher, but with the PW no change.

Cleaner air? Look, if you're following a group off-road and it's dusty, don't matter if you're intake is 6 or 72" off the ground. At least that's been my experience living here in the desert southwest.

Fording water? You better have other things taken care of first as mentioned above.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
AEV support said nope, their engineering came back and said that the 9005 was the right one and that was that. My .02 on that, AEV marketing didn't think a 4" pipe and prefilter looked aggressive/massive enough for one of their SEMA Cummins builds.

This is most likely. It does look beefy on the truck, as I've had both. And I like the PreFilter more than the Ram Air.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So what happens at the automatic car wash with one of these snorkels? Or are ou pretty much gonna need to be on hand wash thereafter?

I prefer my vehicle not to be covered in swirls.
^ that, and there aren’t many automatic car washes that can accommodate my max height of 7’7” anyway. Too many things on my truck that will get ripped off (or damage the car wash).

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
It's a centrifugally airflow driven impeller designed for certain CFM specs. When I spoke with the guys at Sy-Klone on two occasions last year, they said that the 9005 needed more CFM than our engines would consistently draw off-road, or really anything not approaching redline.

I got curious after about a year of ownership and wonder if the pre-filter really did anything at all other than act as a rain cap. Between 2-3k the impeller is not turning anywhere close to the velocity that would be needed to shed particulates out of the designed exit cut in the housing.

As to the OP's original question, too late now I guess, this is the second truck I've had a dorkel on. Not real sure I'd do it again. With my 80 Series Lexus, they do *maybe* help a bit with lowering IAT and thereby allowing timing to remain a bit higher, but with the PW no change.

Cleaner air? Look, if you're following a group off-road and it's dusty, don't matter if you're intake is 6 or 72" off the ground. At least that's been my experience living here in the desert southwest.

Fording water? You better have other things taken care of first as mentioned above.
So the snorkel comes with 2 options and the pre filter needs higher rpms to make it work right?! So the ram air in this application, will do the job better with the forced air, especially if you change the exhaust. More air in and more air out and with fuel injectors sized right, I could see some big HP gains here.

OP
OP
Buttyman

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Don't know much about the science behind the thing. I bought it like any other accessory for the truck--because I think it looks cool.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have always considered it my most expensive appearance mod (before I did those silly headlights)

And recently swapped out the Ram Air for the Pre-Filter and to be honest, I see zero difference. So take that as you will.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I have always considered it my most expensive appearance mod (before I did those silly headlights)

And recently swapped out the Ram Air for the Pre-Filter and to be honest, I see zero difference. So take that as you will.
No difference? I thought the ram air would befit you if you are running 30+ mph??

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
No difference? I thought the ram air would befit you if you are running 30+ mph??
“Ram air” has proven in just about every third party test to be a myth. The theory of forcing air into the intake faster than the engine takes it in naturally only happens with a turbo or supercharger application.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
“Ram air” has proven in just about every third party test to be a myth. The theory of forcing air into the intake faster than the engine takes it in naturally only happens with a turbo or supercharger application.
I used to believe that then I had it done on my last truck with a duel exhaust and it was a noticeable difference so much so that I had to put the truck in four-wheel-drive to do launches and feather the gas pedal as I would do a four wheel burn out with my 35s. (She was a payment queen more then anything)
I am not saying the ram air can stand alone but I just bought the exhaust cut out last night and plan to do something more efficient (maybe just count out the baffling) with the intake. This time I will dyno the project. If the results are sub par then I will look at a blower. I’m not looking for much. I just want to net 0 when I put the 37s on without re-gearing.
A friend runs a snorkel on the Competition, and told me the The throttle responsiveness above 30 miles an hour was noticeable. That’s why I’m asking. If you have that option, will you try it for us? I’m not sure what come in the kit.

4747A9BC-A65B-40D8-B7F4-96958F2BBC75.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat