Air Suspension: Issue Disconnecting Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eminclake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Problem: I have a loaded cargo trailer attached that I'm trying to unhitch. As other threads have called out, the air suspension will rise as I attempt to raise the trailer off the hitch. I struggle to replicate how others have resolved this with the tire jack setting.

My 2021 truck and the trailer are on a slight incline, backed in my driveway.

Does anyone know how to do this well enough to lay out simple step-by-step instructions?

With the Tire Jack setting enabled, the truck still rises. The truck seems to enable this on its own.

Maybe the trailer is holding the hitch as I raise it? If it is, how would you counter that?

I'm confused now about what's what, and how to figure out what should be very simple. Hopefully someone can make it plain. TIA.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Is your truck equipped with the 4-Corner system or the rear load leveling system?

If it's the 4-Corner system the Entry/Exit mode should lower the vehicle by about 2".

If the hitch ball is snagged on the trailer coupler make sure the coupler disconnect is fully engaged, chock the trailer wheels and then bounce the rear of the truck up and down.

Let us know how it goes and what system you have.

OP
OP
eminclake

eminclake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The solution was painfully and embarrassingly obvious: Know how to use your ball latch/coupler disconnect. I had not used this type before, it's one where you lift and then pull it back to release. I kinda didn't know about the second part. Doh! Sometimes the most challenging of problems are solved with a simple solution. Not ashamed to admit this, figuring someone someday may benefit from my mistake.

I have the 4-corner system and, boy, it didn't like me fighting with it while I tried to sort this out. I learned too much about how it can overheat and other warnings, but glad to know the truck is monitoring it.

So Maddog, you were on the right path.