alignment bolts rusted tight to sleeves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vgbu56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi
I'm looking for tips / help on how to loosen the alignment bolts that are rusted tight to the sleeves on the rubber bushings on the lower control arms.
It's a 2007 ram 1500 and was driven on the east coast and the south east. under side looks clean not rusty, but every time I go to remove a bolt its rusted tight. I need to do a wheel alignment but both lower control arm bolts on both sides are rusted tight to the bushing sleeve, I can get the nut off and the back cam nut off but I'm unable to turn the bolt or drive it out of the bushing. So far I've disconnected the hub from the upper arm and associated items so the coil spring is loose Any one find a way to remove these bolts in this situation?

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Every time that has happened to me I ended up using a sawsall to cut the bolt off on both sides of the bushing so I could drop the component and replace the bushing and bolts with new stuff, not forgetting generous amount of antisieze.

I tried penetrant, heat and time but that always ended up destroying the bushing in the process. I recommend Milwaukee Tools "The Torch" blades for the job.

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every time that has happened to me I ended up using a sawsall to cut the bolt off on both sides of the bushing so I could drop the component and replace the bushing and bolts with new stuff, not forgetting generous amount of antisieze.

I tried penetrant, heat and time but that always ended up destroying the bushing in the process. I recommend Milwaukee Tools "The Torch" blades for the job.
This^
I just replaced my whole front end and I planned for this but thankfully did not have to do it.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Like others have said, cut the bolts' ends off to remove. I don't bother messing with bushings and just replace the enire links with preinstalled new bushings. Don't forget to order bolts too.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can recommend the 9" Diablo Extreme sawzall blade (sold at Home Depot)....and a little cutting oil/chainsaw bar oil for this job. Let the blade do the work and it'll take about 10 minutes a side.