Allison tranny in a Cummings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if this has been posted but here is the latest rumor.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I could see this happening. They have to do something to keep up with the competition, everyone is going to a 8 or 10 speed transmission..

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know, I noticed it after I posted it and it was too late to change it.

You're not the first nor the last, it happens often. If it was your spell checker that took the liberty of changing Cummins to Cummings, right-click the correct spelling and select add it to the dictionary.

The transmission rumor mill has been chatting about an HD ZF 8-speed replacement for the Aisin since the chatter about the HD redesign started a couple of years ago. The more recent, the talk of an Allison.

But, if the Allison is the way forward, will it be an Allison or a licensed built Allison?

I have the ZF 8-speed in my 2013 1500 and like the tranny, you really do not notice the shifting. I'd welcome a ZF in the HD Cummins but then again, the talk of an Allison has me excited too. I think if RAM went with the Allison, that would put a hurt on the Duramax HD sales.

How does this look for a hood badge;
Cummins/Allison

Last edited:

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Why would they stray from the Aisin? Mine seems to work just fine. Its only a six speed auto though. Driving thru southern indiana you drive by both the cummins, and aisin plants.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Why would they stray from the Aisin? Mine seems to work just fine. Its only a six speed auto though. Driving thru southern indiana you drive both the cummins, and aisin plants.

I agree, the Aisin is a proven performer. The last two gears are overdrives. A 10 speed would not necessarily improve mileage, but it would provide smoother shifting. I personally like to feel the shifting.