AlphaOBD - How to change parking light brightness (factory projector lamps) on 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM996

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
Hi Everyone,
I've been trying to figure out how to do this and have found things very close to this discussed, such as the difference in factory settings (USA vs Canada) for light bulb and parking light brightness.

But, I can't find anyone who's addressed this specifically (I'm sure it's out there but yeah..).

HOW TO QUESTION:
Change the settings of your factory parking light bulbs so they emit brighter yellow light.

From the factory, mine (2016 Ram 2500 Laramie with projector lamps) are around 7.2 volts, I believe..
My hope is that AlphaOBD can be utilized to turn them up to 13 volts.

Any help is SUPER appreciated.. I know others not logging in will appreciate it to..

Thanks in advance!!

Dan

IMG_1370.jpg

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Everyone,
I've been trying to figure out how to do this and have found things very close to this discussed, such as the difference in factory settings (USA vs Canada) for light bulb and parking light brightness.

But, I can't find anyone who's addressed this specifically (I'm sure it's out there but yeah..).

HOW TO QUESTION:
Change the settings of your factory parking light bulbs so they emit brighter yellow light.

From the factory, mine (2016 Ram 2500 Laramie with projector lamps) are around 7.2 volts, I believe..
My hope is that AlphaOBD can be utilized to turn them up to 13 volts.

Any help is SUPER appreciated.. I know others not logging in will appreciate it to..

Thanks in advance!!

Dan

View attachment 520613
Seeing as how they are led. They are most likely going to be just on or off. So, no matter how much voltage you feed them, they won't get brighter. I would imagine the led strip inside the housing has a driver to control and limit voltage/current. Where are you measuring the voltage? If you have a power probe or a way to send 12+v directly to the signal wiring you can verify whether or not more voltage means brighter.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Since they're LEDs and most LEDs can only take 5v, you may blow them out if you put full battery voltage to them. I don't know the circuitry but if you do it and they quit working all together you'll be looking for new lights.

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The orange LEDS can have the brightness adjusted in AlfaOBD. I have a 2014' Larimie Limited with the same lights and I was able to mess with the brightness. It's been years so I don't remember exactly how but I know it can be done.

The LEDS are in fact designed to take ~12v for full brightness. They're in series groups on the PCB in the headlight.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oddly enough, my '16 had the projector lights and there is no setting for the LED "turn signals" , but there is one for the "DRL" and it says 7.4V. I am guessing the DRL it the normal name for the turn signal LED's.

I have the turns working as DRL's and they are pretty bright.
High beam is 14.2V
low beam is 14.0V
Marker lights are 13V

Attachments

• '16 ram voltages.jpg
    '16 ram voltages.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 6