AlphaRex turn signal issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieselsniffer98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
2015 2500
quad headlights originally

I know there have been many, many posts about this type of issue but all of the threads I've read barely have any info that have essentially lead me to this as my last resort.

I had just bought AlphaRex Pro G2 style headlights, threw them in and tested them while the truck was off had zero issues until I took it for a drive and used the turn signals, came up with the warning saying they were out along with the hyper flash. When I stopped I double checked to see if they were actually out and they were, DRL and turn signals were out. Thought that maybe I blew a fuse checked all of them and were fine, As in I checked the DRL harness fuses and exterior lighting relay and nothing was wrong with them. So today I spent all day attempting to get anything out of them. It has been very sporadic between the issues I'm having.

1)With the truck off I could turn the lights on and headlights work fine, DRL would work fine and also turn signals would work.
2)I start the truck, turn the headlights on, headlights good, DRL good, turn the turn signals on they'd blink 3 times then hyper flash and if I kept the turn signal on it would kill the DRL and the turn signal. They would be out for awhile and for no rhyme or reason come back on after fooling around with it.

I read that sometimes switching to LEDs you sometimes have to wire in a resistor so I went out and bought some plugs and some resistors and wired them together and tested them with no difference.
I hate the fact that I spent a decent amount of money for basically nothing. I just need some help and some guidance really bad.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I read that sometimes switching to LEDs you sometimes have to wire in a resistor so I went out and bought some plugs and some resistors and wired them together and tested them with no difference.
How did you wire the resistors in? and what resistance did you use?

OP
OP
D

dieselsniffer98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Wired the resistor from turn signal wire to ground in a separate little harness I made. I believe it was 6ohm 12v resistor.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
you might need to put a resistor on the running light wire also, there's pre-made y harness resistors for the turn signal/running light.
Another option is AlfaOBD and set the turns & running to LEDs. The '15 model year is sometimes picky about it's lighting. Sometimes it's a trial by fire. The Sequential turns do seem to give more trucks fits. Possibly try disconnecting the DRLs(I'm guessing your are wired to the fuse block).
I run the Pro V1s without resistors(AlfaOBD LED settings) but my DRLs are also wired through the BCM, they function like stock.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I believe the issue you see is pulse width modulation (PWM) being engaged at engine startup. If you have AlfaOBD you can disable PWM by setting lighting positions to LED. As stated, resistors can also fix the issue, but it can be eliminated in the software settings by letting the truck know what type of light is installed where.

Eastcoastbreeding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2015 2500

I know there have been many, many posts about this type of issue but all of the threads I've read barely have any info that have essentially lead me to this as my last resort.

I had just bought AlphaRex Pro G2 style headlights, threw them in and tested them while the truck was off had zero issues until I took it for a drive and used the turn signals, came up with the warning saying they were out along with the hyper flash. When I stopped I double checked to see if they were actually out and they were, DRL and turn signals were out. Thought that maybe I blew a fuse checked all of them and were fine, As in I checked the DRL harness fuses and exterior lighting relay and nothing was wrong with them. So today I spent all day attempting to get anything out of them. It has been very sporadic between the issues I'm having.

1)With the truck off I could turn the lights on and headlights work fine, DRL would work fine and also turn signals would work.
2)I start the truck, turn the headlights on, headlights good, DRL good, turn the turn signals on they'd blink 3 times then hyper flash and if I kept the turn signal on it would kill the DRL and the turn signal. They would be out for awhile and for no rhyme or reason come back on after fooling around with it.

I hate the fact that I spent a decent amount of money for basically nothing. I just need some help and some guidance really bad.
What was the solution? I have a 2015 ram 3500 that’s doing the exact same thing yours was doing. I’ve tried 12v6ohm resistors, along with 50w and 100w 10ohm resistors. I had my bcm sales code written for leds at the dealership. Nothing is stopping the hyper flash and I’m about to throw these damn overpriced lights in the trash.

Eastcoastbreeding

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2015 2500

What was the solution? I’ve tried 12v6ohm resistors, along with 50w and 100w 10ohm resistors. I had my bcm sales code written for leds at the dealership. Nothing is stopping the hyper flash and I’m about to throw these damn overpriced lights in the trash.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I’ve tried 12v6ohm resistors, along with 50w and 100w 10ohm resistors. I had my bcm sales code written for leds at the dealership.
Are you using resistors on both the running and turn signal circuits? have you tried disconnecting the DRL wiring if it's connected?
Not sure how a dealership could change the bulb type for the vehicle as WiTech doesn't give them options for non-stock configurations.

the70boss302

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 and 2017
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Not sure if you guys ended up figuring out a solution or not, but I was having the exact same issue. Engine off everything worked fine, engine on hyper flashing and no turn signals. What ended up being the issue for me was I didn't add the second 10a fuse in the DRL fuse tap that Alpharex supplied. It came with one fuse pre-installed and I was unaware about needing to add the 2nd original fuse to the little fuse tap. After adding the fuse, my DRL's and blinkers all work as intended.