Alternator Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 2012 PW and I bought it used with the 180amp alternator. I spend a month a year in Baja where I run a lot of lights and every now and then have a to do multiple pull recoveries. I was thinking of putting in the 220amp as a replacement but wondering if that will screw up the computer? I've been told multiple things, including as long as I don't put in a dual alternator I should be fine. thoughts?

Also, is putting in a 270amp aftermarket alternator for a diesel an option?

Last edited:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I have a 2012 PW and I bought it used with the 180amp alternator. I spend a month a year in Baja where I run a lot of lights and every now and then have a to do multiple pull recoveries. I was thinking of putting in the 220amp as a replacement but wondering if that will screw up the computer? I've been told multiple things, including as long as I don't put in a dual alternator I should be fine. thoughts?

Also, is putting in a 270amp aftermarket alternator for a diesel an option?

I did a quick Google search finding this. Apparently you can add dual alts to a gas truck with a simple sales code flash.

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?t=5109Screenshot_20181113-183815_Chrome.jpg